[Solved] WRT3200ACM - Unable to flash LEDE successfully

Yep, I agree with you that the failure to put back the OEM firmware via u-boot recovery flash is the strange part here.

My thinking is based on taking the error code 16 from the error message armada-nand f10d0000.nand: mvNfcInit() failed. Returned 16. That causes me to think that somehow the NAND driver fails, as that 16 could be the return code from the armada-nand driver (as shown in linux-3.10.70_000_BSP.patch in the GPL source code for WRT3200ACM)

16 = MV_NOT_SUPPORTED

+* mvNfcInit
+*
+* DESCRIPTION:
+*       Initialize the NAND controller unit, and perform a detection of the
+*	attached NAND device.

+* RETURN:
+*       MV_OK		- On success,
+*	MV_BAD_PARAM	- The required ECC mode not supported by flash.
+*	MV_NOT_SUPPORTED- The underlying flash device is not supported by HAL.
+*	MV_TIMEOUT	- Error accessing the underlying flahs device.
+*	MV_FAIL		- On failure
1 Like

@daloki83 thanks, but we are way beyond that, your method will not work since there is no bootable OS left.

@anomeome @hnyman since @JW0914 was so kind to provide the necessary mtd partitions - do you know the correct command syntax to flash the files to the correct locations?

1. That's a great question and one I don't have an answer to. At first glance, I wouldn't believe so, since what's contained on all mtd partions, except mtd1 IIRC (if it's not mtd1, it's mtd3), is not device specific and can be obtained either via Linksys' or Uboot's public servers. Where could I look, or whom could I reach out to, to determine if there's any legalities involved in this?

• mtd0 is the Uboot bootloader
    • mtd1 - mtd3 contain device info
      • The WRT3200ACM has an extra partition, mtd4 [sysdiag], so add 1 to all partitions below for this device
    • mtd4 - mtd7 contain the primary and alternate firmware
    • mtd8 contains the settings/configuration storage for OEM firmware
  2. For all WRT AC Series router, except the 3200ACM, it's ~325MBytes per device (4 total, ~1.3GB). For the 3200ACM, it's ~404MBytes (total ~1.7GB).

• This isn't practical then, since if all OpenWrt supported devices were allowed this, it would scale exponentially
    • As to bandwidth, I think it would be minimal since this would only be utilized for recovery when a serial flash isn't resolving the issue. This is only the 3rd or 4th time since Jan 2015 that I've come across a user needing to utilize dd'd bins from another device due to serial flashing not working to resolve an issue.

I personally have no issue storing them on my GitHub, however my concern is users have no way of verifying the legitimacy and chain of trust for those bins.

• Does OpenWrt have a PGP signing key, and if so, would you permit the bins for the 5 WRT AC Series devices to be signed with the key? At that point, I could house them on my GitHub with instructions on how to verify the signature.

I tried to upload any alternative software in my router without success
As I wrote earlier, I just bought my new router from the salon just like MacKlappstuhl.

I tried the original software versions:
FW_WRT3200ACM_1.0.5.179030_prod.img
FW_WRT3200ACM_1.0.6.181063_prod.img
FW_WRT3200ACM_1.0.6.184351_prod.img - the only version of the software that I can re-upload.

Open source software:
Lede-17.01.3-mvebu-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img
Lede-17.01.4-mvebu-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img
openwrt-mvebu-linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img
factory-to-ddwrt.bin

Only what I can do is re-upload the image of the currently installed software version 1.0.6.184351.

I do not want to interfere as much as the MacKlappstuhl router, but what options do I have to upload alternative software?

Serial Firmware Flash

It appears that Belkin has changed things up on recent rango units:

• two individuals with same device
  • same DoM on units
  • same noted difference from previous units
  • same issue experienced
  • note on OEM site regarding recent FW and reset required

My eyesight may be dimming, but to me it appears something is going to have to change in image generation, once it ascertained as to all changes; and it sure looks like at a minimum there is a DTS change required.

@MacKlappstuhl As I have not been able to brick any of the wrtpac members that I have owned, no matter how hard I have tried, so I have not had to fight that fire. But, as noted above, I would suggest whatever it is you do, be sure to take any replacement partition data from a similar unit, not an earlier DoM unit; we just don't know what the changes are at this point.

And for those wanting/needing traction on this issue, not much is going to happen without at least an open FS, with some pertinent information.

Linksys has pulled that firmware version and reverted back to 1.0.6.181063 and Linksys is also giving downgrade instructions at their page: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=207552
Apparently there were problems with that version 1.0.6.184351.

And you are not the only one who can't downgrade: https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/WRT3200ACM-1-0-6-184351-Firmware-and-Wireless-Lockups-5ghz-radio/td-p/1237411

But if that version works for you (and you seem unable to downgrade), you might stick into that, until Linksys comes up with the next version. Might be more sure than trying to forcefully downgrade with a serial flash.

Not 100% sure, but based on posts from mwlwifi issue 243 it looks like the downgrade was due to issues with the wifi BLOB.

I hope that this can be of use here. If not please remove this post (it is my first one in here). I have two WRT3200ACM routers and I'm almost ready to convert one of those to the bright side of the firmware; maybe, at a later date, the other one will be "reformed" to LEDE too. As a first step, just to be sure the the units had no factory issues, I tried a few times to install, upgrade and downgrade both the routers with images from Linksys; doing that I was stuck with version 1.0.6.184351 regardless if I tried to downgrade to version 1.0.6.181063 or not. I didn't do a thoughtful research but I was able to find another Linksys image available only on the U.S. Linksys support site, named version 1.0.6.186168 and that image is now installed in both my routers. Maybe you can try to do the same. The new image is available at this link: http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/firmware/FW_WRT3200ACM_1.0.6.186168_prod.img
At the moment the U.S. Linksys support site is the only one linking the new image (Yes, I checked all the other countries). Please note that maybe the image 1.0.6.186168 might not be certified by LInksys for your country (or Linksys is just too slow in updating all the websites at the same time... translators are having a break?).
Now even if the support page for my country (Italy) gives instruction about a downgrade from 1.0.6.181063 to 1.0.6.184351, the latter is no longer available.
The changelog for the new 1.0.6.186168 image http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/releasenotes/WRT3200ACM_Customer_Release_Notes_1.0.6.186168.txt reports:

Product: Linksys WRT3200ACM
Classification: Firmware Release Notes

IMPORTANT:

• DO NOT power cycle the Router during the firmware upgrade process.

===========================================================================

Firmware version: 1.0.6.186168
Release date: January 16, 2018

• Integrated WLAN FW v9.3.2.3
  • Resolved Wi-Fi connectivity issues triggered by Android clients

Firmware version: 1.0.6.184351
Release date: October 27, 2017

• Integrated WLAN driver v9.1.1.4 and FW v9.3.1.2
  • Added support for Winbond and MXIC flash
  • Fixed VPN access over PPTP
  • General bug fixes

Firmware version: 1.0.6.181063
Release date: May 18, 2017

• Incorporates compliance with CE Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU
  • Addressed IOActive security issues
  • Added support for IPv6 frames using ESP (XBox One)
  • Added IPv6 support for British Telecom (BT)
  • General bug fixes

Firmware version: 1.0.5.179030
Release date: April 5, 2017

• Integrates WLAN driver v9.0.9.0p3 and FW v9.2.1.5
  • Integrates multiple bug fixes

Firmware version: 1.0.5.176416
Release date: October 25, 2016

• Integrates WLAN FW v9.2.1.3
  • Resolves a connectivity issue with the Blossom Smart Watering Controller
  • Resolves a MU-MIMO communication issue with the XiaoMi Mi4i
  • Improves wireless throughput at longer distances

Firmware version: 1.0.5.175944
Release date: October 6, 2016

• Integrates WLAN driver v9.0.9.0 and FW v9.2.0.8
  • Resolves a guest network connectivity issue
  • Improves the MU-MIMO client grouping algorithm

Firmware version: 1.0.4.175663
Release date: September 23, 2016

• Integrates WLAN driver v9.0.8.5 and FW v9.2.0.4
  • Fixes bug triggered by sysinfo page access
  • Improves TCP throughput for Macbook wireless clients

Firmware version: 1.0.3.175384
Release date: September 6, 2016

• Initial release
2 Likes

@giovanni You, Sir, are awesome. I would have never came up with the idea to look at different countries support sites for updated firmware versions.

Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded the image linked in @giovanni ยดs post
  2. Established serial connection to the router
  3. Issued the following commands:
  • setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.1
  • setenv netmask 255.255.255.0
  • setenv serverip 192.168.1.254
  • run update_both_images
  • reset

The image flashed successfully, the router rebooted. Putty showed what I think is a normal Linksys boot log.

The weird thing is that the WebGUI was not reachable via standard IP (192.168.1.1) and there was no ping result. Wifi was working, and I was able to connect to it with the password given in in the quick start guide. The router had a quite strange IP (10.30.52.149), but I got a ping result from that and was able to enter the WebGUI. The default password (admin) did not work though.

After trying a few common passwords I pressed the reset button for 10 seconds. The router booted with its default IP (192.168.1.1) and I was able to enter the WebGUI with the default password (admin).

The router should now be in a "factory-new" state. Booting it via run nandboot and run altnandboot is working so both images should be fine, right?

Is there anything I can do to confirm or disprove that there was an unannounced hardware change?

1 Like

Check the kernel log for the ID of the flash chip.
Likely you have the new Winbond chip.

I linked you yesterday the new discussion that suggests that there are now Winbond flash chips used in WRT3200ACM. (The release notes above are the same that I quoted in [Solved] WRT3200ACM wont accept firmware - #7 by hnyman

There has likely been a flash chip change, and the new routers with the new chip do not yet work with Openwrt/LEDE or with older Linksys firmwares, but need Linksys 1.0.6.184351 or 1.0.6.186168

1 Like

It should resemble the Armada 385 boot log in the wiki.

This should be it:

[ 1.978069] NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xef, Chip ID: 0xda (Unknown NAND 256MiB 3,3V 8-bit), 256MiB, page size: 2048, OOB size: 64

Full paste here. (Line above is line 262 in pastebin)

@JW0914 It does, more or less. Thanks for the hint.

Interesting that they have not bothered to add the manufacturer to the vendor database.

We should probably look at the GPL sources and see how they patch mtd.

Do you know if it's possible for you to backup your bootloader and send me it?

I flashed the older style v0.0.4 and my device is currently bricked.

There is currently no uboot image that I can find that works with kwboot for my device as there all v0.0.4.
I noticed you have v1.0.0 which is the one I need :confused:

Thanks

@GaZaai That's also in the wiki, thanks to nitroshift and Stefan Roese

That's what I am trying to say though that must be for the older board. I have the new Winbond and the one in the Wiki just get stuck in a loop and doesn't boot. I need the newer version

Ah, I misunderstood.

I'd also open an issue on nitroshift's GitHub to let him know.

• If you already know how to compile, you should be able to compile the bins required, as I believe the source files are available from U-boot
    • I could be wrong, but I thought I came across someone mentioning that when I was trying to figure out how to compile an mmc boot file for my ClearFog Pro

I will do my best to assist you. Lets talk via PM.

1 Like

I would love to be able to do that JW0914 :grinning:

But I'm just not smart enough to understand on how to compile it lol