Updating Standard LEDE Installation/Quick Start page

If I understand the implications of last two posts, am I correct that the QSG, as originally written, will only work for the user with a cable (DOCSIS) modem and not a DSL modem, as we also need to consider the WAN protocol selection for even the basic Router case (Network=>Interfaces=> WAN=> General Setup=> Protocol) in configuration?

Good question. All DSL modems that I have ever seen have LAN Ethernet ports, so we can treat DSL Modems the same way as we would treat a cable modem. (That is, leave the LEDE WAN port in DHCP mode, connect an Ethernet between them, and it'll "just work".)

I view setting up PPPoE as a (very) advanced topic, since you have to a) configure the DSL modem to act as a bridge, and b) make sure you have the right PPPoE credentials... I have done both here on my DSL line, and don't think there's much difference between the two settings (DHCP or PPPoE), either for efficiency/throughput or for security.

Leaving the DSL modem in DHCP mode makes for slightly easier administration, since I can always point my browser to the DSL modem's IP address and see its stats: signal and noise readings, link speeds, DSL link uptime, etc. to see if my ISP is "doing it right".

[quote="RangerZ, post:41, topic:966, full:true"]If I understand the implications of last two posts, am I correct that the QSG, as originally written, will only work for the user with a cable (DOCSIS) modem and not a DSL modem,[/quote]Yes. I don't know how it works with cable modems as I've never seen them where I live, but the device you usually have if you have a DSL line (I assume this isn't different in the US) is a gateway with LAN (and wifi if it is new enough), usually set at 192.168.1.1 so the original QSG can't work on it or if it does work it is a bad choice (double NAT).

[quote]we also need to consider the WAN protocol selection for even the basic Router case (Network=>Interfaces=> WAN=> General Setup=> Protocol) in configuration?[/quote]Kinda, but it is more complex (at least in my experience). That's why I was pushing on Client (or "Dumb AP" as you call it).

AFAIK you can do that only if the DSL device given from ISP is capable of at least half-bridging (I don't know how many can, I'll need to ask around friends and family) or full bridging and if the upstream DSL line is using PPPoE protocol.
If upstream DSL line is using PPPoA protocol (common in Italy, and also in the UK and AU and NZ from what I read, as it works better on crappier lines or something like that) your only choice is using a LEDE device with integrated modem or buy a specific modem (draytek vigor-120 that converts PPPoA in PPPoE transparently so it allows to use any other router in bridging over it (the whole selling point of that device is this rare ability, it's otherwise a pretty unremarkable and very weak modem/gateway device like many others).

[quote="richb-hanover, post:42, topic:966, full:true"]
Good question. All DSL modems that I have ever seen have LAN Ethernet ports, so we can treat DSL Modems the same way as we would treat a cable modem. (That is, leave the LEDE WAN port in DHCP mode, connect an Ethernet between them, and it'll "just work".)[/quote]Yeah, if the LAN IP address in LEDE is different from the LAN IP address in the DSL modem/gateway device, that is.
Usually they don't so things don't work unless you add a line to tell people to change their LEDE device's LAN IP.

Also this solution has the backside that all devices must be connected to the LEDE device to see each other, and that double NAT will break some things or cause issues or add latency (increase ping for games), like gaming or other programs that need to open ports in the router or need to know the WAN's IP, they will open them in the LEDE device (that is their "router") or they will know LEDE device's WAN IP, so the ports will still be blocked upstream, or the IP will differ.
This will cause random issues that will be annoying to troubleshoot if you don't know beforehand where to look (and they won't).
If they need to have the LEDE device accessible from the Itnernet (they run VPN servers, or any kind of server) it's even funnier as you need to add port forwardings or set up DMZs, so you are going to complicate things quite a bit.

Please don't do this. If people can't set up a bridging (itn's not hard per-se, it's 3 clicks in LEDE interface panels to set it, the hard part is getting the info and devices that actually work the way you wanted to, this forges character), have them set the LEDE device as Client or Dumb AP.

EDIT: what I want to say is that while a double NAT setup is ok for people that only need access to Internet, people on LEDE will have more chances to want to try features that will be hampered or made more complex by a double NAT setup, so I don't think this should go in the QSG as it will make any other tutorial more complex.

Hello,i have router,but working as switch,installed ddwrt,but now trying install lede,but no success still stuck with ddwrt full router model is Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N v1.2 with Atheros AR7240,i know that is in supported devices,via wegbui first i install with lede-17.01.0-rc2-r3131-42f3c1f-ar71xx-generic-whr-hp-g300n-squashfs-factory after that lede-17.01.0-rc2-r3131-42f3c1f-ar71xx-generic-whr-hp-g300n-squashfs-sysupgrade where i doing mistake,because LEDE working fine on other my tp-link router.In final result i still have ddwrt on this device.:unamused: how correctly install and ridoff that ddwrt?

@dratas, lucky you... maybe. Had one of these, did this about 2 years ago. I have some very cyptic notes. Not sure where they came from or that they are accurate\complete.

It appears to take you through refreshing the router, connecting it behind your LAN, getting into the G300 shell, downloading the firmware directly to the device and then flashing from the CLI. The putty fatal error I think is not an issue. After the firmware flashes one can expect the SSH session to die.

Good luck.

Enable LAN on PC
Connect PC LAN to Router LAN
Connect router WAN to a LAN port on your primary router

reset Router via DD-WRT 30\30\30
Reboot router
Enter new user and password

Access router and enable SSH under Services=>Services
No other config is needed.

Verify router has a WAN address. If not release\renew IP from Status=>WAN or reboot router.

Access router via putty at 192.168.11.1 (port 22)
NOTE: a warning will be presented alerting user about security. => YES

User: root
Pass: password set after router reset\reboot
NOTE: username is not the user set after reset\reboot

cd /tmp
wget http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_breaker/14.07/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
You will see a progress bar indicating the status of the download

mtd -r write openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin linux
You will see a message "Unlocking Linux
Followed by
Writing from "file name" ... [w]

Putty fatal Error
Server unexpectedly closed network connection

Router lite flashes
After a few minutes the light will turn solid

CMD
ipconfig
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Clear Browser cache
NOTE: IP will have changed

Open browser and enter 192.168.1.1
LuCi should open
User: root
Pass: [blank]

I would like to know if this works and if you can "freshen it up" with more details. This has been asked a few times, but I just found this.

No clue why I uses the sysupgrade over the factory, but the DD-WRT was not the true Buffalo factory firmware.

I flashed to ddwrt without any issues,btw buffalo also have two firmwares one for user friendly(factory stock) and other based on ddwrt(for pro users)hmm,maybe try flash to openwrt and from openwrt to lede.:relieved:

I always have had a cable modem, so it's the only tech I really know. Simple box with a COAX in and WAN out. Mine also has VOIP in it (any relevance?). I have no configuration access to the device. Other than the firmware default being DHCP client for protocol and it worked, I never had a need to really question it being right or wrong.

I think I started this, but we may want to loose the term Gateway, which I used to refer to Modem-Routers. Reading the Wikipedia article it is basically the entire family of connection devices. I think that Modem (devices with WAN ports) and Modem-Router (devices with LAN ports) are probably better terms for our use as the type of connection will, at least in part, determine recommended usage scenarios. Please confirm.

Most of the "bridging" discussion is above my skill set. Are you saying that we want to bridge the WAN to the LAN so we can get a pipe straight through the device and among other things avoid double NAT and better support Port forwarding for VPN and services?

I think we all want to get this right

Can we agree that "Flashing" a device and "Configuring a Flashed Device" are two independent tasks? If so can we agree to document them separately? I think it will make referencing them cleaner in the future.

I do not think that we can stop people from writing wikis, but if we get ahead of the problem with the handful of major usage scenarios that work then maybe we can minimize the issue. I hope that we can also lock the pages to a select few.

For configuration I think the goal would be to do the minimum to get the device functional on the internet with wireless working for a usage scenario. We can debate Time zone and wireless Country Code. No USB, no alt DNS configs, no Guest LAN. Last line in the config instructions should point to the user guide for additional config and features.

I updated my playground today with what I see as the "other" flashing scenarios (4 total) and the Travel Router config (Should be called WISP as it will work for most any router) .

There will still need to be device specific docs for some devices (removable media, x86, other?) that are not mainstream. I think we should acknowledge these up front (prerequisites etc) and drive users to the Device Pages.

Maybe we need a Poll to validate the accuracy this is. If the most frequent use case is 80% of the users it's one thing, if it's 35% of the users, it's something else.

What is the method that you use to connect your primary LEDE device to the internet?

ADSL\VDSL Modem
ADSL\VDSL Modem-Router
Cable Modem
Cable Modem-Router
WISP\Hotspot
3G\4G
Other

Not clear what your saying. The Buffalo factory to DD-WRT and back was a feature offered by Buffalo. The help I offered assumes you are using the Buffalo DD-WRT version. It should not matter if you use the older OpenWrt or the newer LEDE files. All I am saying is my notes indicated that I used the SYSUPGRADE, nit the FACTORY upgrade.

Your first note indicates you flashed the LEDE Factory first and then LEDE sysupgrade from DD-WRT, but you are not clear on where you were when you installed the LEDE sysupgrade (LEDE or DD-WRT)

Have you tried the above?

I assume you could try reverting to the Buffalo Factory and then install using the LEDE Factory Upgrade version.

I do not expect you can upgrade from DD-WRT version using the DD-WRT firmware Upgrade GUI tool with the LEDE Factory or Sysupgrade firmware.

While we may need to address this type of upgrade, if you require additional help please create a new post in the Installing and Using LEDE forum section. You will get more visibility and your post will help others better in the future.

ok to be clear i can explain what happens,so in router is installed simple DDWRT not from Buffalo,but from ddwrt,when i trying install LEDE router shows that Upgrade succes,but still ddwrt stays as is and no LEDE in router so how to succes remove DDwrt and install LEDE?:relieved:

@Dratas would you now please open a new posting about your problem as already advised 3 times? Thank you.

Holy hot damn, my ISP is both NATthing and firewalling me.

For the sake of adding documentation to the quickstart (and because I want to have more control over my new line) I've been testing various bridging options.

-bridge mode is available in the ISP device's firmware but does not seem to work (the WAN port in the LEDE router isn't getting the IP from the ISP as advertised in the device's manual).

-"poor man's bridge mode" (using a DMZ to get around the double NAT) still fails because it seems my ISP is NATting and firewalling all its customers upstream anyway, so whatever I do (adding DMZs, port forwardings and whatever) I can't access my LEDE router from outside. "WAN IP" as shown in the ISP's gateway differs from the IP I get if I use websites that tell me my public IP and let me check ports.

I've added a tutorial for the "poor man's bridge mode" here, and will make one also for more conventional bridging.

I'll try to ask nicely to my ISP if I can get something resembling a public IP and they can stop firewalling me like that, but I suspect that it's not possible and I won't be able to test the above tutorial(s) in any way.

So if someone can try it out and report back, it would be highly appreciated.

Ok, I've written the info and tutorials about integrating the LEDE device in an existing network.
https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/start#integrating_a_lede_network_device_in_your_existing_network

Can I get a few lines of from people that have Cable Internet so the article covers these types of users too?

Then I'll have a look at hooking this into the quick start guide.

Not sure exactly what you want for where.

I have a cable modem service from RCN (US Based, Boston MA, www.rcn.com)

I have an Arris TM822 Modem, which is included in my bundled service. I could purchase this separately, but there is no savings. The COAX input from RCN is split with one segment serving video and the other going to the Cable Modem.

The Arris Cable Modem has a Coax input and both an Ethernet connector which goes to my router and two RJ-11 connectors for VOIP telephone services. I get a DHCP WAN IP from RCN. I have no user access to the Arris cable modem. I do not need to supply any credentials for network access.

I get a DHCP IP address assigned and it appears that unless I loose power for more than 24 hours (and not sure if it's longer) that I keep the IP for a given MAC. If I change the router, I will get a new IP. I do not recall what happens if I change the router back to the original. I used to have to ask to have the device provisioned (older modem), but with this device I do not. I also get DNS servers supplied by RCN.

The Arris (now owned by Surfboard) quick start guide can be found here: http://surfboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ARRIS_SURFboard_TM822_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf

RCN Allows users to purchase devices of thier own: http://www.rcn.com/hub/help/bring-your-own-modem/
There is not a list with specific part numbers however this third party link suggest alternatives: http://www.approvedmodems.com/rcn.html All these devices are Cable Modem only (No VOIP) and there are no "Modem-Router" combinations on the third party list.

Let me know what other info you may want.

Not sure exactly what you want for where.

Ok, thanks for the info above. :slight_smile: I need some info to know if what I wrote is different for Cable users or not, or if there are caveats for this use case.

From what you say and what I gathered from googling, it seems the Cable modems are usually set for "half-bridge mode" by default (no login needed to access Internet, they pass through to the router or PC connected the same IP they receive from the ISP).

Can you also test the part about upstream NAT (if you don't pay for a static IP already, of course)? https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/integrating-lede-introduction#upstream_nat

Also, can you connect to your router from outside your local network (like by using your phone's 4G internet)?

I used to have to ask to have the device provisioned (older modem), but with this device I do not.

What does this mean? what device is "provisioned" and what does "provisioned" mean here?

In DOCSIS networks the CPE/cable modem actually has a lot of influence over what and when a user can send data, so much in fact that most ISPs will only allow modems on their RF-coax that they can control t some degree. And to enforce this a modem will only be really operational after some data exchange with the ISP's system at the CMTS ( I believe).
From a naive user's position what is irritating about the way DOCSIS works is that for a relative shprt windows after modem boot-up the CMTS typically seems willing to DHCP addresses to new MAC addresses, after that window not anymore. So a user who just replaced an old router with a new LEDE device by plugging the ethernet cable from the old router to the new one will not have internet access. Unless the user either reboots the modem (and sometimes the new router as well) or clones the old router's WAN MAC to the new router's WAN interface. These unexpected necessity of either of the steps came up a few times here in the forum, so documenting that better in the Installation instructions seems like a good idea. I would volunteer to add this, but I have last had access to a DOCSIS modem in 2013, so I could not test anything. In case this has already been discussed, please ignore this...

The term "provisioning" relates to the ISP tying\linking the MAC of the router to their system. When I change the MAC (device) I needed to call them on the phone and ask them to clear the relationship and map the modem to my new device. Not sure if this was a function of the hardware (Modem) or the way the business\technology systems were established. As moellor0 suggested, I could have cloned the MAC.

I get a 146.115.xxx.xxx IP address from my RCN.

I have a VPN server setup on my ALIX router and also until recently an FTP running on a Synology NAS behind it. I have never tried to SSH in to the router directly from outside and do not believe the default config supports this. Never really had a need to administer remotely, but I can access it when I am connected via VPN, but that's not what you are asking. Not able to test that ATM.

I will suggest that you actually add that NAT means Network Address Translation somewhere in the content. Also, in the index link above it says "Introduction" but the page title and page name are different. I think this is confusing. I thought I went to the wrong page. Same for the term ISP (Internet Service Provider)

I think it also may also help users if you differentiate the devices and general expectations by the physical device connections. I especially expect that some users do not know that the Modem-Router in particular is 2 devices in one box.

• Modem - Phone (RJ-11), Coax or Fiber input, WAN Ethernet output (RJ-45, typically blue)
  • Router - WAN input (RJ-45, typically blue), LAN output (1-5 RJ-45, typically yellow, with or without a wireless AP).
  • Modem Router - Phone (RJ-11), Coax or Fiber input, LAN output (1-5 RJ-45, typically yellow, with or without a wireless AP).

I think we should change this to:

What is the method that you use to connect your primary LEDE device to the internet?

• “Directly” your device is the modem; Which connection type?

• ADSL\VDSL

• Cable

• 3G\4G (mobile)

• FTTH

• Other

• Behind some gadget provided by your ISP; Which one?

• Modem (what type e.g. DSL, Cable or FTTH shouldn't matter)

• Router half bridge

• Router full bridge

• WISP\Hotspot

• Other

I think the QSG should be more like a “What do you want to do?” question tree/matrix.
In my opinion this is the best way because the user already knows what he wants our job is to provide the “how to” or the sorry not possible like this because ... perhaps “this” will work for you.

Small (Edit: Oh it got big :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) example to make it more understandable:
Have you already read our guide on how to choose the perfect device for your use case?

• I want to replace something with an LEDE device.
  • I want to replace my Modem/Router/WiFi al in one box.
    • I live in “badCountry”
      We are sorry but in your country, by law, the first gadget has to be controlled by your ISP. You can try to use one of the bridge modes and place your gadget behind the one forcefully provided by your ISP. Guide the user to the tutorials for bridge mode If you think this should be changed look in to these organizations!
    • I live in “notSoBadCountry”
      • I got my contract from “bad_ISP”
        Sorry your ISP sucks and doesn't support freedom of choice. You can try to use one of the bridgmodes and place your gadget behind the one forcefully provided by your ISP. Guide the user to the tutorials for bridge mode If you think this should be changed look in to these organizations!
    • I live in Germany
      • My contract is older than 01.08.2016
        Ask your ISP nicely and if you a lucky they will provide the needed Information in case they do look there. If they don't think about getting a new contact meanwhile you can try if one of the brigemodes works for you guide the user to the tutorials for bridge mode.
      • My contract is younger than 01.08.2016
        • I get my Internet over the TV Cable
        • I get my Internet over VDSL
          You need the following information ... How to get them
          Then follow this guides to success :stuck_out_tongue:
          How to flash with subguids like how to get the right image for your device covering things like different hardware revisions
          How to configure your device to be able to connect to your ISP and the Internet
          Some advanced stuff like more security or VPN ...
  • I want to replace my WiFi access point
  • I want to replace ...
  • I want to expand/(ad to) my network witch an LEDE device.
  • I want to add a new Router
  • I want to add a new WiFi access point
  • I want to add a new ...

This is only an example to get the Idea!
Also, please don't start a deep technical discussion about how to make this work, we should focus on the way and concept how we want to get in touch with new users. Design and technical “back-end” stuff should be discussed after we agreed on a concept IMHO.

I don't like the Idea of providing a quick start guide with only one most common use case because everybody else will feel lost! In my opinion the quick start page should direct everybody to the information he/she needs to get started with LEDE.

Back in February when this thread was alive, I began to experiment with some alternative forum tools in hopes to better present the install options, which are really more than just a basic router, in a concise form.

Unfortunately I failed to market my work appropriately and never updated this post with a link to the content for review, and I am now remedying this error.
https://lede-project.org/playground/qsg_lede_installation_guide

I have been asked to complete this work, but do not have the ability to do so due to both time and hardware needed for testing.

It appears that a user named ALX has been making updates to the wiki pages related to the QSG over the last month, but does not seem to have a forum user of the same name. I will ask that you please review this content and hopefully will agree to adopt it as a more detailed and comprehensive approach. I consider the work to be 90% or better, but it should be clear on what needs to be reviewed and added. Please be aware that the sections were written before there was a release version of LEDE 17 available.