Trying to enable smartphone tethering

Hi Everybody,

I just installed LEDE on a Raspberry Pi 3 and want to tether my smartphone to it for my internet access. Currently my only internet access is my mobile hotspot. I have unlimited data on my cell phone but the hotspot gets throttled after 15 GB. I have not TV or other high speed internet available. the router (raspberry pi3) is currently in wifi client mode so it does have internet access I followed this guide : https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/smartphone-usb-tether. When I try installing the packages through the GUI I receive the following errors:

• pkg_run_script: package "kmod-usb-net" postinst script returned status 255.
  • opkg_configure: kmod-usb-net.postinst returned 255.

I am not sure if there are other dependencies missing or if they need to be installed by the command line. I am a linux noob and not exactly sure what command to use to install packages by command line .

Any help would be greatly appreciated

That error may still be OK. For most successful installation of packages at runtime, use a release build not the trunk.

Most Android phones use RNDIS, so install kmod-usb-net-rndis. That should bring in several other packages as dependencies.

Plug your phone in and on the phone go to the network menu, more, tethering and mobile hotspot, and turn on USB tethering. This should create a USB0 interface on your router. Connect this interface to the WAN network, as a DHCP client.

You will probably be billed for tethered data the same as using the mobile hotspot feature. There may be ways to circumvent that with software on the phone, but that is outside the scope of this forum.

Hi Mike,I installed the rndis package along with the USB basic packages referred to on the links on the bottom of the install instructions. I did reboot and try the wan settings again but no usb0 option.

mk24 Mike Keitz
October 16 |

That error may still be OK. For most successful installation of packages at runtime, use a release build not the trunk.

Most Android phones use RNDIS, so install kmod-usb-net-rndis. That should bring in several other packages as dependencies.

Plug your phone in and on the phone go to the network menu, more, tethering and mobile hotspot, and turn on USB tethering. This should create a USB0 interface on your router. Connect this interface to the WAN network, as a DHCP client.

You will probably be billed for tethered data the same as using the mobile hotspot feature. There may be ways to circumvent that with software on the phone, but that is outside the scope of this forum.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.