Supporting ZSUN Wifi Card Reader (16MB Flash, 64MB RAM, AR9331)

You are my hero if you can get a uboot SD recovery going!

1 Like

Could you elaborate a bit on the status of u boot on zsun? What is working, what is not working etc.
Is there anything anyone can do to help?

BTW: Is there anything to add / update on https://openwrt.org/toh/zsun/wifi-card-reader regarding support status?

1 Like

Currently no, WIP.

did you boot the kernel successfully?

nice work!
Easy upgrade to 17.01.4 from 15.05

@maurer, @Goossens would it be possible to post an updated firmware with the usb-storage module included? Comparing the polish 15.05 rom and maurer's 17.01.4, the USB packages aren't included.

The objective is to use a web interface to upload files to the SD card and switch between device and host mode. This would allow an equipment operator to remotely upload to the SD card, and then switch the mode, presenting the SD/files to the shop machine.
Was thinking this would be implemented with a simple php/html page hosted from the zsun. Any further ideas would be appreciated.

USB switching works with either
echo "0" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio21/value
echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio21/value

Many thanks if anyone is able to help!

Any updates on the uboot mod? Anything I can do to help?

1 Like

Also very interested in this... thanks in advance.

Hardware version 2.1.

Started with polish 15.05, after that 17.01.1 and finaly 17.01.4. Seems to wirk ok.

Any tips for how to open the case? I want to atach ethernet port.

Get a small tool (I use an old guitar pick) into the seam that goes all around the case near the bottom where the USB connector lives. It is not glued, just clicked together but may initially need some convincing to come apart at first.

1 Like

Opening the case is the easy part, soldering the wires is another story!

Yep. Thats a litel bit scary. But for under $15. it is not a big isue.

Can someone hint me what kernel mosules are needed to get card reader functionality?

Any one tryed making mesh network with these?

I believe it is 'usb-storage'

Nope. I have both usb-storage and usb-storage-extras.

Some mmc package perhaps?
https://openwrt.org/packages/table/start?dataflt[Name_pkg-dependencies*~]=mmc

@maurer would you be so kind to explain how can one reproduce your work?

just do a git clone and apply this patch

I have done this, and got it to compile. However, you need to make some tweaks to make kernel have a small enough size. I have been reluctant to try it myself though, because I fear if I brick it, I will have a hard time unbricking it.

It would be great if the efforts of the alternative u-boot was made public. It supports uploading a new firmware if regular flashing fails for some reason (or so I have imagined it anyway, not sure of current state)

Is the right time to do this now, or should one wait until lede becomes openwrt again. I guess no one knows how long that will take.

The lede version I am using on my zsun now lacks usb support, or at least I am unable to get it working. It would be great to be able to share the sdcard as a smb drive that was automounted on startup. That is how I mainly use my zsun, as a portable wireless storage for my kids to have their movies on.

However, another very good use is to have travelmate on it, I think it would be nice in addition to that to also have some sort of text based web browser, to be able to login to those pesky hotel wifis. At least I think that would work if you were able to authenticate through a web page on the actual device (the router) that is connecting to the wifi.

It is a bit strange that such a versatile little device gets so little attention (if I am wrong on this, please point me to where the attention is) and that it cant get official support.

Another thing that is bothering me a bit, how do you reset your configuration to the default state when you have messed around adding stuff in the menus? I cant seem to be able to do this.

Phew, long post. If you managed to read this far, congrats, you must be as interested in this device as I am.

Quick recap:

1. How to get proper smb sharing with automount working on lede? (works on older openwrt release perfectly)
  2. How to reset menu config when compiling firmware?
  3. Alternative U-boot would be great (safer to flash)

Cheers,
/J