Supporting ZSUN Wifi Card Reader (16MB Flash, 64MB RAM, AR9331)

I'm using the ZSUN device right now with OpenWRT.

Like told in some posts before the openwrt-image is shipped with an unencrypted/open wifi network with the ssid: openwrt.

The only way to connect to this device (and devices like this - without ethernet) is with a wifi connection.

If the LEDE-developers doesn't want to ship images with open wifi that's OK. But the wifi needs to be enabled and the password needs to be documented. Maybe one way would be to do use different stock-passwords per device.

For example this one coud have the SSID: LEDE and a WPA2-PASSPHRASE: ZSUNwifCARDreaderLOVESledeORnot?

or something like this...
It's for sure everybody changes this after connecting to the device. I really don't see a big problem in this. People don't care would never do the work of flashing LEDE...

My skillset is also limited that I'm not able to build my own software - so I'm not able to use LEDE on this device if there is no image released with wifi enabled. Sad :worried:

It tells you about a change which removed unencrypted Wi-Fi enabled by default and switched to different approach (you can turn on Wi-Fi after flash using a button). In simple words: Wi-Fi is not enabled by default in MLW221.

What is difference between no password at all and well known password? IMHO, there is no difference at all.

The good way to make it would be prepare some mechanism for generating default Wi-Fi passwords based on data which only the user has access to, like WPS PIN in TP-Link devices (stored in FLASH and printed on label).

This maybe work on some TP-Link devices but not on the ZSUN (the device mentioned in this thread). This device has Wifi only and beside the trigger (mechanical sd-card swapping - again: pls reserve this for a reset) there is no button/switch or anything else.

Therefore you suggestions works in theory for a couple devices - but it doesn't solve it for this device.

Sad to see my most powerful device still locked to openWRT... :confused:

PS.: No one overtook my ZSUN even it was with open wifi directly after flashing openwrt! Lucky me! :hushed:

Maybe someone could take a look at this https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/obtain.firmware.generate Tool to modify images without building?
My Idea would be to make it possible to set a wifi name and password by using a txt-file on the SD, or to autorestore a backup from the SD. What about utilizing rc.local with a command like "find out the uuid of the SD and mount it" + "restore the Wifi-Data on the SD" + "restart Wifi". This way the Zsun would not broadcast unencrypted in a default setting.
I don't know if it works like this. For this we would need someone with the guts to solder an Ethernet Port to the Zsun. Any volunteers?

First things first, please. The first step would be to establish principal support for this particular device in the LEDE tree.

Enabling Wifi after sysupgrade is relatively trivial then. Either through a configuration file injected at build time or, when upgrading, even more easily through an /etc/config/wireless supplied with sysupgrade -f.

Whether or not devices without physical ports and buttons should have Wifi enabled by default is a fundamental discussion that should be had with the whole community, not buried in a thread of a relatively obscure device.

1 Like

Here's my quick port: https://github.com/Emeryth/source/tree/zsun
Without the helping scripts for enabling wifi, factory reset etc. so you need a serial port connection to use it.

Everything seems to be working, most importantly USB device now works (after a bit of soldering) thanks to the recent chipidea patches.
Sysupgrade from openwrt works, but I have not tried it with preserving config.

One problem is that the default LEDE kernel is too big for the original kernel partition (0x130000 bytes).
Disabling kernel debug and symbol table information is enough to make it fit.

1 Like

Glad to see your post here in @Emeryth
actually, glad to see you and your team work with this device
Your openwrt port is very very nice

To beginner user like me it will be awesome if we can get upstream to zsun
it was either official openwrt or official lede. so we can opkg install thing

maybe we can adopt @Kopfpalme idea, adding optional wifi script in image generation
since this is only optional for user that dont want to lockup-with-only-connection-remain-open-is-serial-that-must-be-soldered-first after flashing lede in zsun. (and dont supply default lede firmware image with those option turned on, or just dont supply default zsun firmware image at all)

And maybe you can view this PR in openwrt: https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/312
Apparently someone want to integrate your port to upstream
but somehow he stuck at image generation

i still learning toward nix and openwrt, with very small undestanding about this ecosystem
i can only hope we can ejoy zsun at its peak. thank you

I would like to see it upstream...

And meanwhile to see links to a working image (wifi enabled by default)... dreaming :smile_cat:

Thank's anybody (special @Emeryth) for the work they did!

Hi everybody,

following this topic and I can understand the concerns regarding the WiFi but as already mentioned the zsun cardreader only has WiFi and nothing else. I would like to see the device becoming officially supported in LEDE but unfortuantely I am no developer. The only thing i can be help of is testing and I find dirlede's idea great. Maybe someone could share an image of Emeryth's source with WiFi enabled for us noobies?

Greetings

modifed your patch with parts of your original openwrt patch, put a binary in too

2 Likes

He, does it have activated WiFi by default?

yes, wifi is on by default.

2 Likes

Thank you! Installed your build and worked! I just set up a password and then resetted the device via SD card! Worked! Thank you :slight_smile:

EDIT: I somehow cant install USB modules. Could you integrate it into the build?

Collected errors:

• satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-storage:
  • kernel (= 4.4.61-1-840c23c3f9dc6160d8c7bd302c6f494d) * kernel (= 4.4.61-1-840c23c3f9dc6160d8c7bd302c6f494d) * kernel (= 4.4.61-1-840c23c3f9dc6160d8c7bd302c6f494d) * kernel (= 4.4.61-1-840c23c3f9dc6160d8c7bd302c6f494d) *
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-storage.

Could you integrate it

here you go: https://files.fm/u/9jnr82cf
Did just that, no problems with build. Since the kernel was built, it should still fit but in the end I didn't test this.

Did just package the folder.

1 Like

Thanks! Couldnt test it, as I do not have the device at the moment.
But I am trying to build for myself right now. I downloaded the newest release from the LEDE github page (17.01.1) and applied your patch successfully.
Now I am configuring. Is the reset function enabled, no matter what I do in the config?
Is there something I have to be careful with? Would you mind sharing your configuration?
Thanks!

How do I install this on my zsun? Is it okay/safe to use the openwrt sysupgrade procedure?

New and final upload: files.fm/u/jktpn854

I included the config, patch, and binaries.
This includes now minidlna and samba services and everything needed to share content on microsd over wifi. I have tested the the Image.

Sorry everyone for cluttering this bugreport. Not having a Lede port for this device was very frustating for many users (me included). Thanks for the LEDE-Patch @Emeryth!

This is my last post providing "user-support".

@rj-45 sysupgrade, yes. the files in the archive ends with -sysuprade.bin

2 Likes

rj-45 do you still have the last archive that rabarbara9 shared? It has timed out at files.fm. Could you pm me? Its just for my own use so hoping rabarbara9 is ok with you passing it on.
TIA

Has anyone a properly working image for a noob like me?

this package worked for me