[SOLVED] TD-W8970 telnetted, and now?

Hello all,

I bought an used TP-Link TD-W8970 V.1.2 in order to install over it OpenWRT-LEDE, and I succeeded to telnet it without renaming the SSID as described in the page reserved to this router.
Within the CLI I tried to give the "sh" and "cat" commands, but they are not recognized as valid.
Can anyone tell me if this is a good point from where starting to install OpenWRT-LEDE?
I would prefer much not to open the case and then flash through a serial interface.
Thanks much for supporting me.

Lele

CLI

• Why did you type those commands?
  • Did you follow the instructions to flash the router (send the file via TFTP)?

Hi,
TFTP should be used to flash over a serial interface, I would like to flash without opening the case.
If you see in that guide, the next steps after telnetting the router involve the "cat" command.

Lele

You have to do the SSID hack to launch the full version of telnetd and a real shell. Right now you are connected to TP-Link's configuration telnet, which only lets you change configurations.

2 Likes

I'll try it.

Lele

1 Like

I have problems with telneting to W8970v1.2.

I did factory reset of the device and I did changed the SSID to

`telnetd -p 1023 -l login`

(I understand that since the config gets evaluated tilda-quotes should be included, as in e.g.

cp `ls *.log` -t /tmp

After saving the SSID & rebooting the device I get

> telnet 192.168.1.1 1023    
Trying 192.168.1.1...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Any ideas??

Hi,
I don' know why you can't telnet your router: maybe it depends on the firmware version.
By the way I tried too to obtain OpenWRT on this device that way but without luck.
I succeded to telnet and flash this router, instead, with the complete hack, as described here, and the Statposter tool v. 20160306 you can find here.
It takes a bit of pain, but it works.

Lele

thanks for prompt answer!
my device uses firmware 0.6.0 2.11 v000c.0 Build 141008 Rel.41184n as opposed to 0.6.0 2.12 v000c.0 Build 140613 Rel.31066n in the wiki (statpost part). Maybe they fixed this bug/feature that config is evaluated :wink:

I will give the older firmware a try.
EDIT: Don't try this at home, device bricked. I understood that warning on TP-Link support about downgrading was related to moving to pre-130828 firmware. It wasn't :wink:

Hey,
I did connect via UART to my board (it boots fine :slight_smile: and followed the serial instructions here:

VR9 # setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.1                                                                        
VR9 # setenv bootargs 'board=WD8970'                                                                   
VR9 # tftpboot 0x81000000 openwrt-15.05.1-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-sysupgrade.image                       
8192 KiB EN25Q64 at 0:3 is now current device                                                          
Using vr9 Switch device                                                                                
TFTP from server 192.168.1.100; our IP address is 192.168.1.1                                          
Filename 'openwrt-15.05.1-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-sysupgrade.image'.                                     
Load address: 0x81000000                                                                               
Loading: #########################checksum bad                                                         
########################################                                                               
         #################################################################                             
         ##########################                                                                    
done                                                                                                   
Bytes transferred = 4194308 (400004 hex)                                                               
VR9 # sf erase 0x20000 0x7a0000                                                                        
VR9 # sf write 0x81000000 0x20000 0x$(filesize)                                                        
VR9 # reset

However after reset I get

U-Boot 2010.06-LANTIQ-v-2.0.40-svn4806 (Jun 12 2014 - 10:34:17)                                        

CLOCK CPU 500M RAM 250M                                                                                
DRAM:  64 MiB                                                                                          
Using default environment                                                                              

In:    serial                                                                                          
Out:   serial                                                                                          
Err:   serial                                                                                          
Net:   Internal phy(GE) firmware version: 0x8434                                                       
vr9 Switch8192 KiB EN25Q64 at 0:3 is now current device                                                

Type "run flash_nfs" to mount root filesystem over NFS                                                 

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0                                                                       
        Uncompressing ... LZMA: uncompress or overwrite error 1 - must RESET board to recover

any ideas?

It seems you missed something, for sure the command:
setenv serverip 192.168.1.2
as second step, then it seems you typed a bad filename since the actual correct file name you should have downloaded here is "openwrt-15.05-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-sysupgrade.image", then you erased the rootfs flash area.

Lele

setenv serverip 192.168.1.2 just sets the addres of tftp server, by default it is 192.168.1.100 (as could be seen in printenv) the other computer is on 192.168.1.100 and is seen by the tftpboot, no problem with this.

I downloaded the file from here which is the official repository of the lede project; I guess this is one minor version more recent than the image You link to? Anyway: I tried both of them, with the same result...

You should try flashing again, obviously something went wrong with the transfer. Also, I would definitely recommend going for at least a 17.04 build (if only for the DSL firmware).

Hi,

I read in an italian forum that it can be a problem with the tx/rx welds.
One person tells he solved by inserting the wires into holes at the areas to be welded.
You could try even by holding the wires with your fingers.
I'm not an expert, so I'm sorry I can not help you further.
As it is a new problem compared to the original, consider opening a new topic too.
Cheers.

Lele

with 17.04 build ('lede-17.01.4-lantiq-xrx200-TDW8970-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin') I get the same error as above;

Admitedly, soldering pins was the first soldering task I've done in 20 years, maybe it's good to recheck :wink: thanks.

Hello,

that person in the forum I linked, speaking about the TD-W8990, tells he soldered the pins, but got the same error message as you, then solved by inserting the wires directly into the holes at the areas to be welded, without soldering.
You could try even by holding the wires with your fingers.
Good luck.

Lele