Optimized build for the D-Link DIR-860L

Unfortunately not. Fq_codel gives the best results. Not that surprising though, to quote the man pages: "FQ (Fair Queue) is a classless packet scheduler meant to be mostly used for locally generated traffic.", just as @moeller0 said above.

@rajsris: I don't get reboots with the 4.9 kernel but I do get stack traces and a bit of weird slowdown here and there. Most likely due to my slowpoke internet connection.
@Mushoz: Interesting! Looking forward to apply the patch when it is released. The previous one was a step in the right direction.

@blogic just posted the aforementioned patch on the following flyspray ticket: https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=804

I was going to test this yesterday, but I bricked my router by force installing sqm-scripts. Whoops. I am currently compiling an image with the patch applied and sqm-scripts built-in. Will flash my own router first to test for any major issues. Once it flashes fine I'll upload it here, so that other people can help testing. Fingers crossed!

Edit: The compilation failed. Now rerunning make with -j1 V=s to see what's wrong. Feel free to try and make your own build by using the patch yourself. The patch needs to be placed in: target/linux/ramips/patches-4.9

Edit 2: Got it to compile now. Flashed successfully as well. I am now running tests. For those who are brave enough to help testing, here is the image: https://mega.nz/#F!XRIFjSSZ!RtKpACFpNZYmxBnq-ssvIg

It has the aforementioned patch, plus Luci, SQM and uPnP added. Other than that it is a vanilla image from trunk.

I'm nervous but will give it a shot shortly. My connection may not crash the router without some kind of iperf testing

Is this kernel 4.9?

Yes, this is kernel 4.9. I am very happy to report that during nearly 20 minutes of constant speedtesting with Cake or fq_codel enabled and not a single crash or stack trace. I can normally crash it within seconds and occasionally the odd minute. Looking very promising so far!

The patch has already landed in trunk: https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commit;h=6acb53c5267b96aa4f166c703998eaad3cb5d9fd

So compiling from the latest master branch should now also fix the issue :slight_smile:

http://phase1.builds.lede-project.org/builders/ramips%2Fmt7621/builds/346

Upstream snapshot with the patches should be online.

@All, OP updated with an updated build which has not been tested by me but should flash just fine. I will be able to start testing tomorrow.

Great news!

Assuming it all works, a new feature request: fast path.

Supposed to be able to hit gigabit speeds on the wan side, but fast path + sqm is still too challenging.

This may be upstreamed into trunk eventually.

I know this thread is for D-Link DIR-860L but has anyone experienced those issues with Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X or other device with the same SoC?

For those interested, I folded both patches into one for use with 17.01. You can find it here.

FYI, This build is still on 4.4.71 kernel, not 4.9 as stated earlier.

@Borromini For clarification, which 2 patches are you referring to? Also this link gives a 404 error, dead link.

Yeah cron job wiped it, should be fixed now. John told me commits 6acb53c5267b96aa4f166c703998eaad3cb5d9fd and 9551d91b1d6ac337c3e63870f723cd2a062a5db0 belong together. So if you're applying them to 17.01, you should use both, not just the former.

r4633 is working well for me with cake and sqm so far. The kernel and system log files are all clean too.

Is anyone else getting worse wifi performance with these newer builds? Not sure whether it is due to the patch, the new kernel or anything else that changed from 17.01.2 to the latest version from trunk. Or maybe I am seeing stuff that isn't there.

Many thanks John for the patch and you all for the build and test!!

The latest build works great!!! :smiley:

I stressed my 100/100 fiber connection for 24 hours, high speed torrent and emule downloads/uploads, >50 dslreports tests and....the router is perfectly stable with SQM cake enabled :slight_smile: (on the previous build I had reboots every half an hour).

Now our 860L rev B is really 100% LEDE compatible and we can enjoy his powerful dual core processor

Great! Slightly off-topic, is there a release iminent that would incorporate it?

The latest build from the OP :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, I know that:-). But if I understand it correctly, I cannot use that with opkg, or can I (as the packages will move - I had thta problem when I tried running LEDE trunk)?

I too am getting rock solid stability. I even think it's handling SQM a bit better as I'm getting the best speeds I've ever gotten on this router with cake.

118/12 from the ISP, and I'm getting 107/11 with Cake on!