Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)

Can anyone comment on the implications of QCA8k and DSA?

DSA, so no sysupgrade. Potential hardware NAT. Maybe a speedup.

edit: oh also swconfig is completely custom OpenWrt hackery. DSA is upstream.

There is also a rather practical impact for users with multi-wan, who need the same vlan tag (e.g. for VDSL) on two independent ports. That is possible with DSA, but not via swconfig.

Well someone needs to create a transaction scripts.. or user that switch from swconfig to DSA will have ethernet port offline...

Also we don't have any script or Luci app to set vlanid tagging or port grouping

Except using 0. And interface grouping.

About qca8k... To update we will need tftp flash
Benefits= less kernel byte and better optimization

Realistically, the only migration script I'd imagine at this point, would be one deleting /etc/config/network and resetting it to defaults. Yes, it would obviously be very nice to have, but everything but the most trivial setup get really hard to migrate in an automated fashion - and between breaking it more or less once (combined with the partitioning change) or not moving to DSA at all, I personally prefer to go with qca8k/ DSA.

does anyone know why cannot get right ip from router and cannot ping 192.168.1.1,Even if set a ip in computer after flash latest 4.14 build or hnyman 4.14 build,they are flashed via tftp.

Not possible since the switch to 4.14 increases the kernel partition and breaks sysupgrade.

1 Like

Was talking about swconfig and dsa

FYI for others,
as discussed in my build thread, there was a severe bug in the master sources yesterday, preventing the initial network setup after clean flash / TFPT flash or reset. Jow has already fixed that one hour ago, but if you are running a build from 24th , make sure that you do not reset the router... Even failsafe does not work.
(Sysupgrade to a fixed build should work quite normally)

This concerns pretty much all targets and all master builds, not just R7800...

Regarding tftp, I find the documentation somewhat lacking.
Do i need backup the configs, then flash the full image and then restore the config files manually?
Or can i tftp the sysupgrade image?

Correct. You should only flash the full image via tftp.

Rather exact TFTP flash documentation is in the message 5 of this thread:
Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984) - #5 by hnyman and that answers your question reagrding the image:

And yes, you can backup the settings and then restore them after the TFTP flash.

(that may change soon if the qca8k/dsa switch driver change gets committed)

1 Like

now thanks to the obligatory tftp update process, it's the time to make use of 70 MB “Netgear” partition to increase the ca. ~20MB flash currently available.

well... using the 70mb will be bad if you want to revert to stock firmware...

flash a new build with today's source,the bug is fixed.

to revert to stock firmware now is needed tftp procedure.
in addition to being easier and faster.

Stock firmware contain also the Netgear partition?

Too bad it's so much more work to flash the firmware now.
I hope a sysupgrade solution is possible in the future.

Well not so much actually and this is only for the first time... After that sysupgrade works as usual

Oh, i was under the impression i always had to use tftp flash method because of the kernel size. Oh well, thanks for the clarification.