LEDE / OpenWrt wiki merge

In that context: The OpenWrt/LEDE wiki pages for the various Lantiq xrx200 devices are a mess, including links to outdated out-of-tree builds, no way to find other devices from the same family, conflcting howtos and just general ouch.
I plan to start a few of them from scratch. Which template should I use, and in which wiki should I enter the data to make this easier for those who do the wiki merging afterwards?

I'm currently quite busy with other stuff, which leaves less time than usual for LEDE/OpenWrt. I'll try to respond more detailed this evening.

openwrt.org has been redirected to the LEDE wiki now, so we can start to rearrange things as needed.

Please let me know if you need further resources.

2 Likes

Firefox 58.0.2 is giving an unsecure connection page for the URL.

IE11 works.

Thanks for the heads-up @jwoods - the cert should cover both openwrt.org and lede-project.org domains now.

1 Like

Works.

Thanks @jow

Good work on getting this implemented.... who has the ability to update the https://openwrt.org/toh/start (RO). I have some suggestions for the page.

When you attempt to edit the page the non-existing page https://lede-project.org/doc/howto/adding_to_toh is missing, (the correct link is in the content of the page).

The last three columns, (the second last column for LEDE wiki is non-existent, it should be removed). The Techdata / Device page should be the first link, (and not a "View / Edit" link, call it the "Device page" so users are not detoured). The openWRT wiki links should be the last column (far too many people are treating that as the first source of information and are stranded on page without references back to updated LEDE information.

Do you have any wiki editing tasks for a total newbie?

Wiki editing tasks, no. I have not updated the LEDE wiki but have for OpenWRT when I find things I can fix.

I also wouldn't discourage new users from making suggestions and wanting to help since they will mention and point out problems that veteran users will no have the eye for anymore.

Keeping in mind that there are now posting rules for the wiki...

https://lede-project.org/wiki/wikirules

I believe my suggestions are meet the requirements.

My suggestions are attempting to correct issues on points 1, 2 and 5 on the TOH page, (which I do not have access to modify). My main intention is to fix the issues that I encounter to make the next users experience easier. TOH is the first page that most users will go to and should not misdirect users.

Fixed.

View/Edit leads to the dataentry page, not the devicepage.
No chance to get that renamed, because it is perfect as is. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

LEDE columns: will be removed shortly.

The devicepages are the first source of information, at least they should be.
The fact that many devicepages are a mess that has grown over time is sufficiently known -> different topic on its own
The disconnect between the OpenWrt wiki devicepages and the LEDE ToH will be fixed shortly (I hope).

1 Like

https://oldwiki.openwrt.org/ pointing to /var/www/oldwiki would be nice to have to keep a RO copy of the old OpenWrt wiki.

BTW: I switched https://openwrt.org/ to the OpenWrt Theme.

A post was split to a new topic: Packages download

Thomas, I know it wasn't you personally who made that decision, but if I knew ahead of time that's how the site/wiki would look like, I wouldn't have contributed. I can't see myself contributing to something with that theme now -- I just don't think people in general will be absorbing much information from the web-site, so why waste my time. The banner tag line says Wireless Freedom, design makes me think Ham Radio.

• I don't think I've ever seen a modern site with black text on gray-ish background. It looks very dated.
  • Black text on gray-ish background doesn't make reading easy, actually makes my eyes water.
  • Dark-blue visited links on gray-ish background are barely distinguishable from black text.

I understand that it was a demand by a group of developers and you guys had to do it -- what can we do now to convince these devs that people who actually use the web-site/wiki and contribute to it want the fresher LEDE Project-type theme/look?

1 Like

Complain directly to them?

Based on mailing list discussion in May 2017, it is pretty easy to figure out who were the "Openwrt-side" guys whose demand it was to have the old Openwrt-like look & feel.

Selected quotes from the discussion in lede-adm and lede-dev:

• update the landing page to have the same look & feel as the current openwrt landing page

Well, I like the L&F of lede-project.org better - but it's not something worth bikeshedding over, so meh, fine... :wink:

Well, the OpenWrt one might be from 2000s, but the LEDE one is from '95
:wink: I think the CSS jow did for the OpenWrt forum looks the best TBH :slight_smile:

and

• update the landing page to have the same look & feel as the current
    openwrt landing page

Why?

Well, we're not wikipedia so it doesn't hurt if the site has at least some CSS :wink:

1 Like

Back to the past... [sigh]

I can't for the life of me understand why the OpenWrt wiki theme would be preferred over LEDE. So I think we are going backwards with that decision. Having said that, if that is absolutely necessary to get things going merge-wise then I guess it is a necessary evil for now. I would really really really like there to be another good hard look after the merge to see how things can be improved, including a better Wiki theme.

1 Like

Sadly I cannot help with that as I do not have control over the DNS (and I am still not entirely sure who actually has). Will ask on the mailing list.

Is the vhost already configured?

Nothing configured yet, I just put the old content there.
Should work out of the box once the subdomain is pointing there and nginx/php are configured, but I would like to leave that configuration in your hands, just because I trust you more than I trust myself in this regard :).