LEDE on TP-Link Archer C50, but the install Instructions is in polish

Hello everybody,

I am interested in the TP-Link Archer C50 via the following German-language blog post.

https://www.canox.net/2017/04/openwrt-und-freifunk-faehige-router-sehr-guenstig/

My Archer C50 should now be on my way to me. In the meantime, I have been looking for instructions for installing OpenWRT or LEDE. I have found the following instructions.

http://openrouter.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41591#p41591

Unfortunately, this guide is in Polish and I do not speak Polish. The Google Translate is unfortunately still for little to use.

Now my question to you: Is there an English-language instructions for this or can someone of the Polish speaks the instructions into the English translation?

That would help me and also others safe see. I am afraid that if I use the translation of the Google translator, the device will be unusable in the worst case. Are in this case only 10 € but nevertheless it would be annoying

TL;DR For US V1, user @basteln3rk reported that now using the Firmware LEDE Install URL, you just install using the stock firmware from the Web Upgrade interface, simple as that.

As for EU V1, device needs latest factory-eu image from Lede snapshots. No need to downgrade or sysupgrade (see @cedcuc17's comment below).

Notice for non Windows users: Pay attention to the file name, the V in the filename ArcherC50V1 mentioned below needs to be capitalized (see related comment below).

There are two manual recipes reported as successful from two different users:

Install LEDE @danghuy1994 's recipe, using sysupgrade

1. This downgrades the stock firmware to the first release so that it accepts OpenWrt
  2. Set your computer IP address to 192.168.0.66 (force this address, not DHCP client)
  3. Install TFTP on that computer and ensure it serves the file ArcherC50V1_tp_recovery.bin
    a. That file is the patched image that you rename ArcherC50V1_tp_recovery.bin
  4. Connect it with cable to LAN port 1 of the router
  5. Put the router in recovery mode
    a. Power off the router
    b. Press and hold the reset button / wps while powering on the router
    c. Wait until WPS LED will light - about 8 seconds, release button
  6. The router will begin to download the "recovery" patched firmware
  7. There should be a reboot
  8. From this downgraded stock firmware's upgrade firmware page, use this OpenWrt firmware to install OpenWrt
    a. You are now running OpenWrt
  9. From OpenWrt's upgrade firmware page, use this LEDE firmware to go to from OpenWrt to LEDE. Do not preserve settings.

Install LEDE @steel_rat 's recipe, using TFTP

1. This will install a specially crafted OpenWrt image directly that will accepts LEDE afterwards
  2. Set your computer IP address to 192.168.0.66 (force this address, not DHCP client)
  3. Install TFTP on that computer and ensure it serves the file ArcherC50V1_tp_recovery.bin
    a. That file is the patched image that you rename ArcherC50V1_tp_recovery.bin, according to the recipe you originally posted in Polish
  4. Connect it with cable to LAN port 1 of the router
  5. Put the router in recovery mode
    a. Power off the router
    b. Press and hold the reset button / wps while powering on the router
    c. Wait until WPS LED will light - about 8 seconds, release button
  6. The router will begin to download the "recovery" patched firmware
  7. There should be a reboot
  8. Then install LEDE sysupgrade firmware from OpenWrt's upgrade firmware page as you would for a sysupgrade

Going back to stock firmware (TP-Link)

1. Use the danghuy1994 recipe and stop at step 7. Afterwards, use the stock firmware upgrade menu to go to a newer stock version if you want.
    a. When you want to flash a stock firmware using TFTP, you need to strip the U-Boot section from it or else you'll end up with a bricked device.
    b. The patched image at step 3 is already stripped so you do not have to manually do it. In case you need to do it, you need to strip the first 512 bytes from it (thanks @danghuy1994).
2 Likes

There is no factory firmware and tftp method need bootloader so your router will be a nice brick if you use tftp.

First go to openwrt.org and download a snapshot bin. Upgrade from tplink stock firmware (lede firmware still get rejected, i don't know why).

Second go to lede-project.org and download any version you like and use sysupgrade and you're done.

There is no snapshot version of OpenWRT for the TP-Link Archer C50.

Yes it is. Link: https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ramips/mt7620/openwrt-ramips-mt7620-ArcherC50-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

My question how I install LEDE now is not answered yet. The sysupgrade.bin of OpenWRT and LEDE exist is known to me.

I need a factory.bin to install LEDE/OpenWRT. But for the Archer C50, there is no factory.bin and the only instruction to install OpenWRT is in Polish

Just upload sysupgrade bin to box and flash via stock web. That's all. (Flash openwrt first because stock firmware reject lede and then flash lede use openwrt sysupgrade).

Sure I do not destroy the device with this method.

To understand: I flash first the OpenWRT sysupgrade.bin over the Stock firmware Webinterface and flash then after a restart via OpenWRT then LEDE

In schematic:
stock ==> OpenWrt ==> LEDE

EDIT: Usually it shouldn't be the sysupgrade.bin image when flashing from stock, but the full firmware bin; however sysupgrade.bin has been reported to work from danghuy1994.

https://superuser.com/questions/1145625/installing-openwrt-in-tplink-archer-c50

Download crafted recovery of OpenWrt: <https://mega.nz/#!fFAmHBiA!cHmp9pE5z3r9T3C2wuM665QzEx7DiF04Xf1MBbqI_9g>

Set up tftp server providing the file.
    Set the IP address on the network server to 192.168.0.66
    Turn off the router.
    Connect the computer / server to the LAN port on the router.
    Press and hold the reset button / wps.
    Turn on the router and wait until WPS LED will light - about 8 seconds.
    Began recovery procedure.
    Release the reset / wps.
    Wait about 60 seconds.

Finished!!

After this procedure You can install LEDE.

The File is only the Recovery from and not fully OpenWRT. Right?

Is OpenWRT witch LUCI. As far as I remember.
I have this router and I install LEDE use this procedure.

What I don't get is why nobody creates a bugreport regarding the issue/regression. This way the bug will be never fixed.

1 Like

@danghuy1994, are you sure that you used a sysupgrade.bin image from stock to OpenWrt ? Sysupgrade bin images are for updating from OpenWrt/LEDE only and not from stock firmware.

Yes i'm sure

K den :disappointed_relieved:

Looks like factory firmware is on the way: https://git.lede-project.org/?p=lede/mkresin/staging.git;a=commit;h=cfdd3f260e13d78feb232831c220e190e927c290

1 Like

Didn't work for me. Archer C50 HW V1. Latest official firmware. Will try to roll back to old firmware.
When I try to upload I've got the following error:

Error code:4506. The uploaded file does not match the device's current hardware version.

I'm from Poland.
The tutorial you linked is basically the standard TFTP flashing method. If you have troubles with understanding this one just look for any other TFTP flashing tutorial for TP-Link devices.

Are you having troubles with a particular part of the tutorial?