Porting guide ar71xx to ath79?

Add the qca,ar8327-initvals that i posted before...

will do as i promised.

1 Like

you don't need to make clean

1 Like

Ping is working and eth0 shows up as up.
Seems fine to me will flash to device and see if everything else runs fine.

Hello everyone. I'm not a developer, just a user. I would like to know that if you continue to make progress, will the new kernel be included for all ar71xx devices in the OpenWRT builds? Including WR740N (4/32)?

Only issue i found so far, that i cant really upgrade the firmware properly:

The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform. 

need to run sysupgrade with -F for it to work.

It could, but for LUCI to fit in, there is a setting to be made for squashfs block size, and at the moment is not in trunk, maybe I can get hold on 740 and try it

Yes, sysupgrade may not work and I have the original image and not so sure about changing it so is not tested, we need to add boards to it, like on ar71xx

edit:
we can add the board name to platform.sh and you can try to write without -F
at least v4 needs this too

Isn´t it sufficient to add SUPPORTED_DEVICES := ubnt,ubnt-unifiac-pro ubnt-unifiac-pro to the image make target?

I think this should work because this device use a single firmware partition for kernel and rootfs

I've added them, did you try a sysupgrade on 1043v4 and it's working without -F ?

heh uhm

platform_check_image() {
        return 0
}

i guess thats the reason?

On wr1043v4 i hasn´t tried it yet, the device is at my parents home.
But i don´t know why it shouldn´t work...

As i see the image make target for ubnt-unifiac-pro in your branch does not has SUPPORTED_DEVICES definition.

If there isn´t a needed configuration of bl or something else and the device did have the combined firmware partition it should work with SUPPORTED_DEVICES definition and append-metadata as last step.
Probably you doesn´t have the append-metadata added...

The return value is always true. This is only left because a function in another script call this function...
This is not the reason.
As i said before, i think append-metadata isn´t included in the image building steps...
Take a look into the common-tp-link.mk in images folder.

Try to add append-metadata in generic-ubnt.mk as in my following example:

define Device/ubnt-unifiac
  DEVICE_PACKAGES := kmod-usb-core kmod-usb2
  DEVICE_PROFILE := UBNT
  IMAGE_SIZE := 7744k
  IMAGE/sysupgrade.bin := append-kernel | pad-to $$$$(BLOCKSIZE) | append-rootfs | pad-rootfs | append-metadata | check-size $$$$(IMAGE_SIZE)
endef

And don´t forget to set SUPPORTED_DEVICES := ubnt,ubnt-unifiac-pro ubnt-unifiac-pro in your device image make target. This name is the same as the compatible property for your device with and without vendor name.

1 Like

Also, sysupgrade from a working ar71xx image is expected not to work because of boardname rename

yeah yeah, i didnt. I completely reset that accesspoint.

If you go from ar71xx to ath79 you will end up with 3 radios and more strange things its not worth the effort.

I think @MartB has tested it from ath79 to ath79...

@MartB I would always do a sysupgrade -n /tmp/xxx.bin to wipe config if i upgrade from ar71xx.

1 Like

Is not about the settings, is about platform.sh that has other data in it

If he wrote from the initramfs, then is ath79 to ath79

1 Like

Seems to work with the metadata step, luci lets me upgrade and sysupgrade also doesnt complain anymore.

Closing this bad boy up as everything seems to work just fine.

Thanks @lucize and @juppin for your effort!

2 Likes