How to?... Client + AP. Part 2

@Willy
Many thanks for testing the binary I compiled and also the "Jow's" method. I've been away all weekend so I'm just catching up.
I tried to compile a smaller version of Gargoyle just before I left, so I could test it, but the build failed. I'll have another try with different parameters later.
However, I think we really need the help of an expert who knows exactly what they are doing to get AP+Client working on BRCM63xx routers. Perhaps it is not as simple as what "Succo" suggested on the Gargoyle forum some years ago :frowning:

I'm afraid we're in a dead end. The only thing that I can do is to be a betatester for anybody who wants to help on this issue.

TIA

Hi there
I've tested a configuration proposed by drbrains:

"If that's the case, you have to put an extra line in the wireless configuration file. Luci needs to know it's a Broadcom chipset."

Something like:
Generic Broadcom wireless config:

config wifi-device "wl0"
option type "broadcom"
option channel "5"

config wifi-iface
option device "wl0"

option network lan

option mode "ap"
option ssid "OpenWrt"
option hidden "0"
option encryption "none"

"With the important part: option type Broadcom. The rest as you like."

It didn't work with generic Broadcom driver kmod-b43 + wpad nor with kmod-brcm-wl+wlc+nas.
Anyway I do not give up. I will try any proposal from this forum.

The only thing you didn't answer yet: can you configure from the commandline? Getting it to work And getting it to work via Luci are in my opinion 2 different problems. The "Broadcom" option is known to even "trick" Luci for other cards (someone with a Realtek card managed it like that). That reference was a few years old. Maybe the interface has evolved and those tricks don't work anymore.

You should still be able to get it to at least respond from the command line (SSH into your router).

My SPI Flash clip arrived. Within the next few days I should have time to revive my old asus (Broadcom) router and do some testing myself. I didn't read up on it enough, but possibly it will never work. The binary blob might only work on older kernel versions. (DD-WRT worked for me in the past on Broadcom, but even my latest 2017 version is using a kernel 3.x)

@drbrains
I never did it from command line but I will try. Nothing to lose. There is something I haven't commented yet, if I only change -option type "broadcom"- from default configuration, automatically "Scan" in wireless menu doesn't work, exactlly the same that when I change "kmod-b43+wpad" for "kmod-brcm-wl+wl+nas".

@Willy
I concur with your findings. I get the same on my BCM63xx based TG582N router. I either lose "wireless" option completely or the "scan" tab does not work at all. :frowning:

OK. Today I've tested the new firmware 17.01.2, and things continue the same, "Client+AP" doesn't work with Broadcom 63xx. I repeated all the tests again, all, included configuration from command line as drbrains said.
I don't know what to do from now on...

I've just downloaded 17.01.2 ready for installing but I've not been able to find the change-log. The last change-log seems to be for 17.01.1
From what you say I guess nothing has been done to enable Client+AP for BCM63xx. I suspect we will have to wait for 17.01.3 !!!!

https://lede-project.org/releases/17.01/changelog-17.01.2

Thank you tmomas, I saw this afternoon:

Target / brcm63xx (3 changes)
bf534e4 brcm63xx: Add Observa VH4032N support (+193)
d90ff22 brcm63xx: fix invalid Asmax AR 1004g DTS reference (+1,-1)
215c1d0 kernel: update kernel 4.4 to 4.4.69 (+143,-474)

Nothing new under the sun.
Do someone know how we can influence this change from the forum?

TIA

Bad news...
https://wiki.hackspherelabs.com/index.php?title=Wireless_Firmware_and_Drivers

Hi folks... Slightly OT, but this topic has many people familiar with the Comtrend AR-5381u...

My question: Does the ADSL driver work in current versions of LEDE? (I saw a dire warning on the Device Page...) Many thanks!

For support status of BCM63xx see https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/soc/soc.broadcom.bcm63xx

-> DSL not supported, and I doubt that this will change.

@tmomas
I guess you are answering Richb's question regarding DSL.

However, in this thread, myself and Willy are more interested in Client+AP mode ( two SSIDs) for BCM63xx.
Is there a chance that a working driver can be made/found to enable this? Looking at the link that Willy recently posted about the b43 driver I suppose not? Should we give up on this topic?

Hello
I do not give up...
Today I had sent a message to Broadcom Support, maybe they dont care, but I had to try it.
This is the message body:

I am only a user in a forum, lede-project.org, and there are many discussions about Broadcom components and drivers on this forum and others. The question is simple, does 53xx and 63xx CPUs support multi-side?... And if so, could Broadcom provide some drivers to use multi-side of these platforms?. Thanks in advance.

I will be waiting... and I will inform the forum if they give me an answer.
TIA

iw list will show the capabilities of your wifi chip and driver under LEDE, particularly the "interface combinations" section shows what can run simultaneously.

Broadcom doesn't support open-source much at all. If you have a Broadcom router you could try dd-wrt, since they have a license with Broadcom for some of their proprietary drivers. It is best not to buy Broadcom hardware in the first place.

Thanks mk24
I haven't spent money on Broadcom hardware, it's only I have many adsl routers with bcm63xx and bcm53xx, and curiosity and knowledge moves me. I know the problem with Broadcom drivers, but maybe if many people talk about, manufacturer also does something about it. My two cents? ... ask the manufacturer directly. I don't lose anything doing it.
Of course I've been using dd-wrt on old Broadcom hardware with good results, but the problem of multi-ssid is the same as lede on new Broadcom hardware (63xx and 53xx). As Lede developers depends of these drivers, only Broadcom can help here.
TIA