Dir-860l Rev B1 very poor wifi performance

For me, it turned out windows is to blame. My previous tests with the Archer C7 used a wan connection with just 40 Mbit/s upload speed, so the wifi connection was never the bottleneck, so the bufferbloat issues never showed. My current 500 Mbit upload connection does show the bufferbloat issues on wifi, since wifi is obviously the bottleneck there.

Repeating the exact same wifi tests on the exact same hardware with Ubuntu showed an A bufferbloat and much higher and more​ importantly stable speeds. Around 90 Mbit down and 70 Mbit up. Very happy with that performance.

Thanks Mushoz, I have problems only with 2.4 GHz :frowning:

That was the same for me. Please try running the same test with a recent Linux distribution running on the client. Do you still experience the same issue then?

I have only 4 smartphones and wireless speed is only 5 Mbps, I tried all channels without success...
My config:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11a'
option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0'
option htmode 'VHT80'
option channel 'auto'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
option device 'radio0'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'My SSID 5GHz'
option hidden '1'
option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
option key 'MyPassword'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11g'
option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:02:00.0'
option channel 'auto'
option htmode 'HT40'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
option device 'radio1'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'My SSID'
option hidden '1'
option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
option key 'MyPassword'

Took me some time but I was finally be able to do some quick testing. Only chose to do the WLAN to LAN tests, so WLAN > LAN with 1 stream and WLAN > LAN with 32 streams.
Other variables: router running my r3636, laptop with an QCA61x4 connecting at 144 Mbps, 4 neighboring 2.4 GHz networks.

The quick and dirty preliminary results are:

WLAN > LAN, 1 stream:
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 157, Received = 157, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 540ms, Average = 22ms

WLAN > LAN, 32 streams:
Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 97, Received = 96, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 306ms, Average = 124ms

Why these statistics lack the standard deviation always baffle me, since that would give an idea about the spread of the data. Anyways, my results seem different the the results of @Mushoz. The 1 stream test is in line but the 32 stream test is not. I also find increased latency as opposed to the 1 stream test but not in the 2000-3000 range. Interesting results which need further investigation before a conclusion can be drawn. When I have the time I will investigate further.

I have the need to use openwrt and with this router wireless (2.4 GHz) is very unstable.
I will try to change the internal antennas and let you know.

EDIT: Disabling 5GHz performance with 2.4GHz seem good, maybe it is a problem with antenna?

Compiled now and seems fixed!
Thanks for these patches :smiley:
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commit;h=e209988a17d3ef67c75c8e337df7dc44675264af
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commit;h=d2f864f7bf04124d34a55a826a0f1f18ff00e3d1
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commit;h=97d1c49cacfea2d9f69d8e20d9f60e837293b1ff

Are those patches in LEDE v17.01.1 service release?

I haven't found those commits in the 17.01 branch, so they are not in the v17.01.1 service release unfortunately :frowning:
Unless I've missed them.

What kind of improvements are you seeing? Are the improvements on the 2.4g band, the 5g band or both? This might be an unrelated question, but what is the maximum tx power that you can use on the 5g band? And I don't mean the maximum tx power that you can set in luci, but the maximum txpower that is actually usable. This can be seen in Luci:

[quote]Mode: Master | SSID: Rejaap
BSSID: AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF | Encryption: WPA2 PSK (CCMP)
Channel: 100 (5.500 GHz) | Tx-Power: 16 dBm
Signal: 0 dBm | Noise: 0 dBm
Bitrate: 0.0 Mbit/s | Country: NL[/quote]

Notice the tx-power of 16. This is even with a txpower set of 27 in luci :frowning:

I have on channel 36 Tx-Power: 20dBm Country: US
With latest patches wifi 2.4 GHz is more fast and stable, patches are now also on 17.01 branch
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/lede-17.01

I can set it to up to 27dBm in Luci, however this doesn't get applied. What does the wireless settings page of Luci show you? This is what I am getting, even though tx-power is set to 27. Notice the low value of 16 for Tx-power :frowning:

[quote]Mode: Master | SSID: Rejaap
BSSID: AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF | Encryption: WPA2 PSK (CCMP)
Channel: 100 (5.500 GHz) | Tx-Power: 16 dBm
Signal: 0 dBm | Noise: 0 dBm
Bitrate: 0.0 Mbit/s | Country: NL[/quote]

Compiled now from 17.01 branch and I lost 1 dBm :laughing:

Using 2 different devices: one based on MT7621A with MT7603 and MT7612 on PCIe and the other on MT7628A, that MT7603 on soc. and MT7612 on PCIe. Using the same driver and basically the same hardware from a wifi point of view I get completely different outputs

the MT7621 combo will give me 15 dBm on Channel 36 (county US)
the MT7628 combo will only do 7 dBm on the same channel and country settings.

both compiled with the same local build setup so all the git pull / feed updates etc. should be the same. I think we should create a new specific MT76 driver topic to compare notes on different hardware using the same driver (and getting similar Kernel panics).

Another observation I made: iw phy0 info will indicate 0 antennas for TX / RX??

Lede 17.01.2 Another one version with poor wifi for this router, i think its worthless to try to upgrade it anymore, wifi AC, 2 meters away and 650Mbps connection (on 866Mbps adapter) just a poor 4MB/sec Bandwidth, my old 941nd v3 on 2.4Ghz and 100Lan had better results almost full 11.2MB/sec (for its 100LAN)! D-link`s factory firmware is giving about 40MB/sec.Too bad.

I surrendered and after months of attempts I bought a wrt1200ac, it is another world ...
PS Try also latest snapshots
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=commit;h=77a64e8bffb7e7cb1ce46424fd188e2b997433fc

1 Like

i am going to try it out, thank you very much! hope i will be lucky this time!

Remember that snapshots versions doesn't have LuCI (web interface) :wink:

Does anyone know an update on this issue?

I did some tests today trying to solve some WiFi issues and found that I simply have the same problem on an 860L on the 5GHz radio.

With LEDE 17.01.2 "N" on 5 GHz seems acceptable (but still kind of feels low ranged), but "AC" on 5 GHz is bad at all.

• sporadic timeouts
  • slightly increased ping
  • low throughput
  • very low overall range
  • varying low throughput

Tried the magic rollback to stock firmware, go back to LEDE, as described earlier in this post, but that did not improve my situation.

I am sadly back on stock firmware now. WiFi throughput is fine now, but the situation is sad: Stock FW only has 5 wifi channels in 5 GHz (LEDE 20!), it's a 2 year old firmware and I miss my custom packages :scream:

According to https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=64333, DD-WRT seems to not be affected by that issue, so I might try that, yet dd-WRT does not seem to have custom packages.

try this Optimized build for the D-Link DIR-860L for me solved everything except 2.4Ghz disconnection issue of lede