Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

Thanks, I have double checked, even flashed a different firmware on an ESP8266 to see if that would make a difference. No dice.
Put my old router back in place, and they connect instantly.
I will add the mwlwifi thread. Thanks for pointing that out.

I've just uploaded r7493 with kernel 4.14.54 to the website.

A quick observation shows that LuCi Gui (Modern Theme) is still not working correctly... Example: unable to create a vlan. However, manually adding a vlan in command line still works normally.

We can assume Darkmatter is still broke; the last change by a developer was November 30, 2017.

Note
nodogsplash was removed due to the packages not being available.
usbip and usbutils was added back due to being available again.
moduled packages for collectd were removed due to one of them causing the build process to crash. I'll add them back in the next build and verify they are building properly. All included collectd packages remain in the build as normal.

2 Likes

Hi. Same behavior with my esp8266 devices. Fortunately I have a wifi repeater where they connects. I have tried everything without result: differents firmwares in esp8266 devices, configurations mods in wrt3200acm....

David,
Remember all the trouble I recently had with dnscrypt-proxy v2? When I upgraded to the most recent build with r7493, now dnscrypt-proxy v2 works very well. Go figure, but that did it.

WRT1900AC V1 upgrade to latest 15JUL18 build. IPV6 6RD failed to load on reboot. Had to reinstall the 6RD add on then reboot. Connection now works.

As for adding IPV6 DNS on 6RD adding this works:
In /etc/network under
config interface 'wan6'
option dns '2620:fe::fe 2620:fe::9'

Use the DNS server of your choice. The above example is for Quad9.

1 Like

I'm glad it is working now, but am scratching my head as to what the problem was......

Sorry to report the 6RD problem wasn't the only issue. The USB drive mappings and or Samba configs got messed up. With the family needing the net connection and access to the USB drive I took the WRT1900Ac down and went back to the Old Reliable Asus router.

David,
I'm sorry I made an error. When I reboot the router, it comes back up and DNS-over-HTTPS is not working. I need to re-add DNS forwardings beyond 127.0.0.1#5353 (I use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) in order to get nameservers to work again. I declared victory too early.

Still wondering what is wrong. This should have been straightforward.

Once you know that dnscrypt-proxy2 is listening on port 5353, have a windows client request a nslookup on port 5353 to your router, and see if it gets name resolution.

Yesterday, I upgraded my router to r7493, and went through the 10 steps to get dnscrypt-proxy2 working again. I took my time and just copied and past each command, and it all worked normally. So, I'm wondering if there isn't a conflicting configuration somewhere on your build.

Yeah, @davidc502 , thanks. I ended up going that route and having success. Editing the config file from command line over SSH gets the job done, and what's nice is the LuCi page shows the 'changes not yet applied', so it's typically easy to see what needs changed to get it updated via SSH and command line.

Thanks agaon.

Thanks for editing manually because we all know it can be a pain. Hopefully the developers get the LuCi issues sorted out before long.

Best Regards,

David

Maybe this might help adding ntp server to bypass the dnsproxy because when the router gets rebooted, the system clock will reset as well thus dns-over-https won't get valid secure connection.

Screenshot_20180717-020142__01

1 Like

combathero,
I'll give /pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1 a try, but I don't understand what it is. Does this mean when the router reboots, dnscrypt-proxy by definition doesn't get a valid secure connection so from that point forward it will use 1.1.1.1? If so, that sounds fairly unreasonable. Every time I reboot, dnscrypt-proxy is no longer valid?

Thanks,
Slim

David,
I installed dnscrypt-proxy v2 per the instructions again. The process is definitely running, using the toml file in your installation steps, and can resolve per the command dnscrypt-proxy -resolve google.com. I then run nslookup off my iMac and set port=5353 and it doesn't work, as follows:

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# more dnscrypt-proxy.toml
<...stuff deleted...>
server_names = ['cloudflare']

## List of local addresses and ports to listen to. Can be IPv4 and/or IPv6.
## Note: When using systemd socket activation, choose an empty set (i.e. [] ).

listen_addresses = ['127.0.0.1:5353']

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# exit
Connection to openwrt.lan closed.
iMac:~ owner$ nslookup - 192.168.1.1
> cnn.com
Server:		192.168.1.1
Address:	192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	cnn.com
Address: 151.101.193.67
Address: 151.101.129.67
Address: 151.101.1.67
Address: 151.101.65.67
> set port=5353
> cnn.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> exit

Does this tell me anything? Such that dnscrypt-proxy isn't actually listening on port 5353?

Thanks
Slim

Adding /pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1 means resolve pool.ntp.org via 1.1.1.1 thus system clock can synchronize to your ntp server even dnscrypt secure connection to your dns server has not been established yet. SSL HTTPS requires to have clock synchronized first before it recognize the certificates are valid.

combathero (one can't help but ask about your handle, ya know?) the addition of/pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1 to my DNS forwardings seems to have worked through reboots so thank you! I have run tcpdump -i tun0 udp and dst port 53 on the router and the traffic through port 53 no longer contains the clear DNS requests that it once did. It seems like my issues are solved. I am running DNS-over-HTTPS, I have a VPN client, and I use policy based routing on the Roku streaming boxes for the services that can't handle the proxy. Thanks everyone for the help.

:frowning:
So there's basically no working Luci theme available right now?

Well, Bootstrap is the default theme, Openwrt is the old default that has also been recently updated, but Material is a semi-supported third-party addition (I guess David meant "Material" with "Modern") , while Darkmatter is completely out-of-repo third-party theme.

Jow has been updating Bootstrap and Openwrt regularly, and if the feature does not work with them, just file a LuCI bug to get it fixed.

2 Likes

I could live with bootstrap for the moment. I'm going to give david's latest build a try!

Afternoon all, just wanted to say I did my first bona fide "upgrade" to davidc502's latest image just now (since dancing around all the various snapshots and release candidates before) and it was very smooth. All configuration kept, including the custom files and folders I'd added for letsencrpyt certs.

Nice work :trophy:

1 Like