Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds

David,
In the /etc/config/dhcp file, under config dnsmasq the forward server is listed as:
list server '127.0.0.1#5353'

So yes, I'm usuing a "#" I thought that might be wrong as well so I dug around and found that was the correct symbol. And yes, I'm using the toml config that it was bundled with.

Any ideas on how I can distinguish between the dnscrypt-proxy not listening or the forward not working?

1 Like

Same here...

root@lede:~# cat /etc/config/dhcp |grep 5353
list server '127.0.0.1#5353'

I'm drawing a blank right now on what the problem could be... Seems I had the same issue the first time I set up, but did something to fix.

You might try tarting over and go through the steps and see if there is a different result. I know Einstein said that was the definition of crazy... doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result... but it might be worth a shot.

1 Like

David,
Heh, I already tried doing it over. In fact I've done it at least three, perhaps four times. Granted it doesn't take too long, so I'll try it again, but realistically who would believe the fifth time is the charm? :slight_smile: So, there is no other setting in dnsmasq you can think of that I may have set which is screwing things up?

Take a look at this...

root@lede:~# cat /tmp/resolv.conf.auto
nameserver 127.0.0.1

Edit I'm thinking the above shouldn't affect you though.

Also what do you have here in your dhcp lan?

cat /etc/config/dhcp

config dhcp 'lan'
option interface 'lan'
option start '100'
option limit '150'
option leasetime '12h'
list dhcp_option '6,10.10.10.1'

David,

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /tmp/resolv.conf.auto
# Interface wan
nameserver 1.1.1.1
nameserver 1.0.0.1
# Interface wan6
nameserver 2606:4700:4700::1111
nameserver 2606:4700:4700::1001

However I don't think this matters because I have option noresolv '1' set in dnsmasq. Here is my dhcp lan:

config dhcp 'lan'
	option interface 'lan'
	option start '100'
	option limit '150'
	option leasetime '12h'
	option dhcpv6 'server'
	option ra 'server'
	option ra_management '1'

Anything suspect there?

The following option 6 is what tells your clients to use the router for dns requests.

list dhcp_option '6,10.10.10.1'

The option force '1' is used to send this info even if it is not requested.

However, since we manually sent a dns request from the client to the router, I don't see these options as being any help. If you want to set it up the same way as I have mine, go ahead and see if it makes a difference.

Hey David,

Many thanks for this build. I nearly bricked my new WRT 3200ACM by installing the firmware from the openwrt site. Luckily it reset back to Linksys factory default and then I found your build, installed that, and everything works!

I'm going to ask some newbie questions.

What's the relationship between your build and the build posted on the openwrt site. The kernel version and build version don't really line up with LEDE 17.01 which is posted on the openwrt site.

If at a later date the openwrt site posts an update to a build for wrt3200acm and I want to try that, am I able to move back and forth between your builds and ones posted on the openwrt site, or am I now fixed on upgrading only from builds that you post on your site?

check /sys/class/leds - all of them can be controlled from there.

"What's the relationship between your build and the build posted on the openwrt site. The kernel version and build version don't really line up with LEDE 17.01 which is posted on the openwrt site."

17.01 is from Feb 2017, and the builds on the davidc502 site are usually updated every 2 weeks. The updates really depend on if there have been meaningful updates to trunk.

"If at a later date the openwrt site posts an update to a build for wrt3200acm and I want to try that, am I able to move back and forth between your builds and ones posted on the openwrt site, or am I now fixed on upgrading only from builds that you post on your site?"

Yes, you can move back and fourth between lede/OpenWrt daily snapshots and the davidc502 builds.

What you're going to find with these builds is there are pre-defined packages that come with the build and are already installed. These packages are some of the more popular ones that people have requested over the past 2 years or so. However, I also try to build every other module and have them available in the repo in case users want to install them.

Hope that helps.

Just an FYI, I took some time to overhaul the Linksys WRT pages over at Wikidevi just in case it helps anyone out. Added a dmesg for the boot log too: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT32X

2 Likes

Have you been able to solve this mystery?

Inquiring minds want to know :smile:

Actually, no.... I gave it a break for a little bit given the only hypothesis we have is to change a couple of parameters that for good reason should make no difference. It's frustrating because I've had such good success with OpenWrt -- including implementing unbound as my own personal recursive cashing DNS server-- that I would expect dnscrypt-proxy to be much more straight forward. I'd still like a test to figure out if it is either dnscrpyt-proxy not listening or dnsmasq not talking through port 5353, because failing that I am basically shooting in the dark.

On the bright side, I am running a VPN client so my DNS requests go through the tunnel. If I understand that properly, it means the only entity that I've be "shutting out" of my DNS requests if I get dnscrypt-proxy to work is my VPN, so that makes me feel a little better.

All that written, this is frustrating!

Hi all.

Yesterday, I installed the wrt-32x build with succes, and everything seemed fine until I realised that my IoT devices with the ever popular ESP8266 chips were all offline. Turns out this is an issue that has been around for a while and I was wondering if anyone here has encountered it, and if there may be a fix that anyone knows of. Of course, hopefully something that David can integrate into his great builds.

Thanks!

Try disabling the following - "Allow legacy 802.11b rates" in the advanced configuration.

Others found the work around in the article hyperlinked in your last post.

I cannot seem to get a basic setup for BATMAN to work on my WRT3200ACM. I've read through the articles online that I could find and keep getting an error on the wireless tab that says 'Wireless is disabled or not associated'. I'm logging into the network via the 2G wireless because the 5G becomes disabled any time I try to add the batman wifi-iface to it via /etc/config/wireless. Here's the relevant config snippets:

opkg list-installed | grep -i batman
kmod-batman-adv - 4.14.51+2018.1-2

/etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '36'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option country 'US'
        option legacy_rates '1'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'batnet'
        option mode 'adhoc'
        option ssid 'mesh'

/etc/config/network

config interface 'batnet'
        option mtu '1532'
        option proto 'batadv'
        option mesh 'bat0'

I think a relevant error in the system log:
Sat Jul 14 14:15:01 2018 daemon.notice netifd: radio0 (16371): Device setup failed: INTERFACE_CREATION_FAILED

How can I troubleshoot what's going on here?

Update again - it seems it gets applied but quickly reverts to 192.168.1.1. If I hit 'save and apply', I can ping the new IP for a few seconds, then it drops off and is back to the original default IP.

2nd edit - no, something's up. It seems about 3/4 of the time changing the IP of the default LAN network doesn't 'take'. Hmm.

Edit - you apparently have to press 'return' in that field before selecting 'save and apply' now. It works.

I seem unable to save a new static IP for the LAN network after downloading and installing the current davidc502 build on my wrt3200acm (v1). Anyone else seen this? I click 'save and apply' in the GUI and find it's not staying at the default IP of 192.168.1.1.

Thanks.

Many Users have noticed several issues with LuCi not being able to save parameters. The work around is to save the configuration in command line until the issue is fixed.

Unfortunately that workaround is not working for me.

WRT1900AC V1 successfully set up to use IPV6 6RD. However, where do I put the values for the IPV6 DNS servers? I have had them in LAN - Custom DNS. Can they go in /etc/network under config interface 'wan6' with a value of option dns '2620:fe::fe 2620:fe::9'

Please make sure, if you haven't done so already, to add your issue to the current mwlwifi thread.