D-Link DIR-869, a good low-price 802.11ac device?

I see the DIR-869 is dirt cheap at the moment. I could get one for €40. It seems to be supported ath10k device with AC1750 WiFi. Anyone with comments regarding this one? Why should I not buy one? I don't need the USB port that this thing is missing...

It looks like a sandwich toaster my mum had in the 80s.

Sorry, not helping...

:rofl:

2 Likes

Not terribly fast by today's standards and low RAM
CPU: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9563
CPU Cores: 1
CPU MHz: 750
Flash MB: 16
RAM MB: 64

In my opinion, you can probably do better at that price with a more current device, even with one of the devices listed in the (long) thread

1 Like

Thanks for your response jeff.

I did go through that thread, but didn't notice so many 802.11ac devices there that would be widely available. D-Link DIR-860 was mentioned a few times, but you need to get the B1 HW version and everywhere they're selling the A1 (or was it other way around, I can't remember).

I've got a Linksys EA8500 already, but need something cheap to extend the coverage a little bit - it wouldn't need to do NAT even... Should be 802.11ac though. I thought the DIR-869 would fit the bill quite well. Actually I did order one already - not much to lose if it isn't perfect with OpenWRT...

This is definitely not much ram for a ath10k device...
The ath10k driver eats ram for breakfast!

What about the Xiaomi Mi Router 3G? Cheap, powerful and almost the same as DIR-860 B1

1 Like

Agree!

A quick check on my running Archer C7, doing little more than running wireless (no services provided to other hosts, no SQM, no NAT, ...) shows it consuming 25-30 MB of 122 MB available (out of 128 MB "advertised").

1 Like

But i read about some devices with ath10k and only 64 mb ram that crashed on high load... Probably this devices are not only used as dump ap or as wireless extender.

1 Like

I've been running it now for a few days. Works fine with 17.04.1. No restarts or such. :slight_smile: It looks like a space ship though and I wish I could turn off the LEDs via software as it's in my bedroom (electric tape worked fine).

@trsqr does it eat up your ram?

Don't know what you consider as eating up RAM, but here's the current situation:

root@wlan-ap-dlink:/bin# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:          60664 kB
MemFree:           20604 kB
MemAvailable:      16100 kB
Buffers:            2320 kB
Cached:             8244 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:             8188 kB
Inactive:           3872 kB
Active(anon):       2040 kB
Inactive(anon):       28 kB
Active(file):       6148 kB
Inactive(file):     3844 kB
Unevictable:           0 kB
Mlocked:               0 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB

I'm not doing much funky things with the thing, it's just an AP+router for me.

Depending on your requirements you might (probably) want to consider ARM instead of MIPS. The IPQ4****-platforms are quite cheap and not that expensive (sub 100 EUR). I personally wouldn't get "new" MIPS devices in general now that ARM devices are cheap and seeing that most new SoCs are ARM you can probably get an idea where things are headed in the end...

2 posts were split to a new topic: Support for DIR-878