Curious about LEDE web site statistics?

I know that awstats relies on server logs - what is not in there can not be shown, and usually screensize is not included in those logs.

That's why I linked to http://www.awstats.org/docs/awstats_faq.html#SCREENSIZE. This page describes what needs to be done to enable awstats to show stats about screensize.

In short:

1. place small js on homepage
  2. place js inside a js directory stored in your web root
  3. check if js does it's job by checking webserver logfiles: they should include now screensize (for sample output, see above link)
  4. In the awstats configuration, change parameter "ShowMiscStats" to "ShowMiscStats=anjdfrqwp"

Sounds simple enough to try it out. What do you think?

Ah, now I got you. Sure, I can give it a spin.

@tmomas - it is implemented now for the wiki, info should slowly trickle in.

Any idea, how quickly the new stats should get visible?
At least so far there has been no indication about screen size stats at https://wiki.lede-project.org/stats/

I forgot to enable the actual rendering of the reports in the awstats config, I think I got it all now.

You got it :wink:

1366x768	21.3 %
1920x1080	19.6 %
1600x900	7.4 %
1920x1200	6.3 %
1440x900	5 %
Others  	40.1 %

@jow Nice, thanks for implementing this feature!

Just keep in mind that screen size doesn't need to imply window size. While I use 19201200 and a dual-screen setup, my browser window tends to be restricted to 1080800 - and on most websites, a window width significantly beyond ~1024px would be wasted anyways (so the few that would require horizontal scrolling or maximising the browser window tend to be extra annoying).

1 Like

We get the window size, too:

[29/Nov/2016:13:51:13 -0500] "GET /js/awstats_misc_tracker.js?screen=2560x1440&win=1454x1048

An extremely small one: screen=360x640&win=360x511

@jow Can we see more than Top5 only, e.g. Top10?
40% "others" is quite a significant amount, IMO.

Can awstats be configured to show the window size too?

There will be so random individual sizes like 1454x1048 for desktop browsers that the sizes should be grouped somehow for the stats to show anything meaningful. Otherwise there are just the fixed tablet sizes (and all desktops are in "other").

If the sizes could be grouped e.g. by 100px groups, there might be some value. e.g. [1300-1399]x[1000-1099].

Quick and dirty way to do that might be integer division by 100, or just dropping two last chars from width & height (1454x1048 --> 14x10).

Ps.
curiously, Windows 10 seems to lie about 4k display size. I have 3840x2160, but the size shown here is "screen=2560x1440&win=1251x720", so exactly 2/3 of the real size. Apparently it gets reported as 1440p size. Well, I got it now. I use 150% display scaling, so apparently Windows reports 4k as 2560x1440 for apps.

Good idea! However, I doubt that awstats offers this out of the box...

Another example: screen=360x592&win=360x519

Nice to see that even at this windowsize, the wiki works as expected, especially the dataentries:

eventhough 50+ people clicked the link http://downloads.lede-project.org/stats/
404 Not Found
i would really like to see what hardware is most used in regard to downloads and the hardware i use, how that fit's in the picture.

new users may want to buy more popular hardware, for having less surprises.

thanks for providing insight in stuff like this!

@charcoal

• the 404 error sounds like a bug. I filed a report in the bugtracker - https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=325

• I'm not sure that looking at stats for the download site is the best way to identify the most popular hardware. I suspect it would be relatively inaccurate due to downloads from mirror sites; the fact that people only download images from time to time; and a host of other factors.

• A better choice might be a page on the wiki/forum that collects people's current hardware choice(s). Newcomers could see which brands/models have lots of LEDE people them. (There are lots of questions about how maintain it, keep it current, etc.)

Make it automatic.
Make LEDE call home (at least once): Hey, I'm LEDE-16.12 on a Netgear R6250!
Perhaps with an additional unique id, like dokuwiki.

Yes, that sounds like fun. There could be a whole lot of functionality added to that interaction:

• Report the vendor/model of equipment
  • Report the version of LEDE running
  • Report the output of opkg list
  • Receive back a summary of available updates both for base LEDE as well as packages

We'd be able to display the number of people who were using LEDE as well as the relative popularity of devices/LEDE versions/etc.

I suppose we'd need to provide a switch to turn off the phone-home capability, either for "business use" that doesn't want extraneous traffic, or for people who just don't want that info disseminated.

@richb-hanover
I know download stats are not the most accurate way to look at this but at least it is something. As with all stats it are just stats. A person can look at a wiki page 1000 times if that page is inaccurate or 1000 people mar visit it because it is very accurate. Stats always need context. Without stats the context of the stats is missing so then it is all up to guesswork and assumptions. So some insight is better then no insight at all.

We can only know if date can tell us anything if we can actually see the data :slight_smile: Download stats at least give us a general idea, also how much data we consume as a whole. Stuff like that can lead to more appreciation for the impressive work that everyone has done.

If maintenance is to much work then i sure can understand, Still it would be interesting to have some download stats to have at least some idea of what happens in that section .

@charcoal - Our messages crossed in the ether...

I totally agree that "some stats", even if not completely accurate, is better than "no stats"

But @tmomas has suggested something way better. A data-driven page that summarized actual live uses of LEDE...

@richb-hanover

true a call home will indeed be a nice stat as well as long as it does not have privacy issues.
i'm just very curious about downloads for some reason. :slight_smile:

I also use a few boxes in an offline setting so those live stats will also have a few boxes that are not listed.