Converting a surplus x86 into an OpenWrt router

Ok... I'll have to start over maybe with the switch. I just put the old unmanaged switch back and everything is good. And that's leaving the wireless on. The wired computer is still saying it's connected to goblets though. That confuses me.... Lol.

There's a possibility you have DSCP tags on your incoming packets that are making the switch's QoS think it should slow them down. Try turning off the QoS in the switch. Also don't forget to click "save settings" in the switch after trying things. Ultimately you'll want QoS on and your router to control the DSCP tags. You'll want to tag your XBox packets something like DSCP=EF so you get good latency for games, tag stuff destined for your smart TV with AF41 maybe to avoid issues there... etc but until you set that up the QoS could be causing problems if the existing DSCP is set poorly.

Also, log into the switch and check the link status of your links, make sure the switch thinks gigabit on its end.

Okay... Will do. I turned on qos/dscp, but didn't make any other adjustments yet. I'll look it over.

I'm assuming this is a Windows machine, and aren't those names just something assigned by the user? So at some point you connected yourself and then told Windows to remember that this connection is "goblets"? I don't know because I basically use Linux exclusively, but that was my impression, you can set up "profiles" so when you're at work you can connect to "work" and at home to "goblets" and at your favorite Cafe to "cafe" or whatever?

Also, as I said, I've seen a friend get his windows machine connected, it asked him what kind of security profile he wanted, he said "public" as if he were at a cafe, and then it clamped down the firewall in such a way that it brought his computer's connection to its knees. When he changed to whatever the alternative was ("private" or "secure" or something maybe?) his speed recovered. That wouldn't explain why having the switch in place screws things up though... That's more likely to be some feature of the smart switch such as QoS that is different from the "dumb" switch, so it's worth debugging.

One thought is to wireshark your computer's connection during a speed test and see if there are DSCP tags on your traffic.

Further ideas: Try plugging two PC's into the switch and doing a file xfer between them directly. Check the web control panel and see what the diagnostics and monitoring show you: negotiated speed, port Rx and tx, errors etc. Run cable diagnostics, managed switches have lots of ways to get useful info.

@goblinX any luck?

@dlakelan...sorry no, not yet. I'm working the night shift....12 hour shifts. I've been reading up a bit. There is so much I'm not to sure of what I'm doing (vlans, wireshark, etc.). I have to work on the network when no one, (wife & 6 daughter's) is around here at the house or I'll have a riot...lol. I ordered all new cat6a patch cables, just in case since I had such a mix of old ones.
What I do know is that my speed test is fine with the unmanaged switch, so you must be right about the new tp-link switches qos causing the problem. I checked my dhcp range on the brix router and its set to lease between 192.168.1.100 to 150. When you assign a device a static ip, like for example the Xbox One, do you have to set that up in the router as well as on the device or does the router just detect it? I see on brix>network>dhcp and dns>at bottom, it has a section for static leases. There is nothing in that section. Also, I set ip of new switch to 192.168.1.2, the AP to 192.168.1.3, in line after the brix which of course is 192.168.1.1.

Thanks Dan

You can either tell the router to give out a static lease and let the device still do DHCP, or just assign the IP statically to the device and put it's name in the router /etc/hosts file so the router can know the name and make DNS work.

Try turning off qos in the switch and save the config, reboot the switch. That should make it more or less a dumb switch, see if speed is equivalent to your dumb switch.

So on luCi, /etc/host would be network tab, hostnames section>add, right? I do see a lot of devices in dhcp lease section that have "?" marks instead of a hostname. Some are picked up automatically, like Moms ipod, galaxy9, amazonkindle, etc. I'll let you know when I get time to swap switches again.

Yes, that will let you give names to the devices you're giving static IPs to.

I've heard tell of the possibility that tp-link switches "phone home" to china, you can block the switches IP address from forwarding in the firewall to prevent that just in case. Wait until you've got things working to fiddle with that though.

WHAT!!! Man, don't get me started.

I've never seen evidence that it's true, just rumor. I blocked mine in my firewall but haven't seen logs... Maybe I'm paranoid

To clear out the DSCP tags on your traffic add the following to your /etc/firewall.user

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS0
ip6tables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j DSCP --set-dscp-class CS0

this will clear out all DSCP tags from all packets. You can later add some additional rules to prioritize your Xbox traffic etc With that in place, if QoS is on in the switch, you shouldn't have any issues with stalling due to bad DSCP

Ok.... By the way, I put Linux mint on my main computer the other day...dualboot for now.

Made an error in iptables commands above, edited to fix it.

Ok... Sounds good. Everyone is home right now using the internet. I was trying to log into the switch without it being in the network like when you setup a router. I don't seem to be able to get into it. Is that possible to just plug in a laptop to the switch and use a browser or the setup utility without it being connected to a router?

Yes, but you'll need to give a static IP address to your computer, since it won't have any DHCP server to find its ip address. Give it a static address the same subnet as the one you assigned to the switch. then you can play with switch settings all you want off your main network.

I should of known that...I just woke up.

In luCi go to network>firewall>custom rules>add rules as you suggest? Okay I see those rules and restarted firewall.
I tried to add the Xbox One to hostnames. I have it set with a static IP but when I put the name it's says"Some fields are invalid, cannot save values!" Was naming it Xbox One... What's wrong with that?

hostnames can't have spaces, try something like

192.168.1.x xboxone xboxone.lan

which would be if you're adding it direct to /etc/hostnames, but in Luci just give it the name "xboxone"