Converting a surplus x86 into an OpenWrt router

Same here...I see no version 4. Denied on the links too.

What's the name plate say?

The datasheet links come from the download page on their worldwide site: https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-SG108E.html

Based on that datasheet it looks ok, perhaps since v4 just came out the us website is not up to date yet. I'd say go for it.

Didn't open the box. Says:
TL-SG108E(UN) ver3 on bottom of box by the bar code.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-SG108E_V3.html#Firmware

It looks ok, you got an international universal version, go for it just get the firmware from above if it's not already at the current version.

Still don't understand why it says unmanaged pro on the box but not on Amazon.

It's a packaging or marketing issue. If you look at the user guide on the international site it's got all the same features.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-5711_TL-SG108E.html

Confirms that the international version is marketed as unmanaged pro... But it has all the features.

All hooked up. Firmware upgrade. qos dscp based enabled. Didn't enable 802.1q vlan yet until I think I understand it better. Printed the manual.
One question though, does vlan need to be setup on Brix router as well as on the switch?

Yes the brix router and the switch need to have compatible VLAN settings. The point of VLANs is to segment your network into separate pieces, either for security, or performance, or whatever.

When you enable VLAN on the switch initially all the ports are in VLAN1 untagged, which is essentially the same as no VLANs to the external world, so it should be ok to enable it, and you can configure it later.

The thing to think about for configuring it is: what do you want to accomplish. My original suggestion was to put your "real computers" on one VLAN, and "things" that are partially under other people's control (like Kindle tablets, phones, smart TVs etc) on a separate VLAN. To do that, you'd configure the switch, the brix, and the wifi APs to use VLANs.

If you use IP cameras, I'd recommend they go on a separate VLAN.

Under certain conditions, you might even want your gaming consoles on a separate VLAN as well and/or VOIP phones. That would make it easy to prioritize those packets.

So you could wind up with a scenario where you want either 1 (to avoid complexity), 2 (to segment out "devices" from "computers"), or more (to accomplish specific goals you have for your network such as prioritizing traffic etc).

Think about what you might want to do with your network, and go ahead and ask questions.

Ok... Sounds good. I have been reading up on this. Thanks for answering that question.
Well we have one smart TV, 4 or 5 Roku's, plenty of smart phones, Kindles and laptops. There is a Xbox360 and Xbox One. I started this journey to get rid of bufferbloat as you know but it has turned into a great learning experience. The Xbox One is the one I play on.
I suppose it's okay to continue on in this thread. If it's getting too long winded, let me know.
Another thing I saw on a YouTube video. Some guy made a AP in luCi but he deleted interfaces Wan and Wan6 and only had br-lan. I didn't do that to mine. Was I right in leaving that alone?

deleting wan and wan6 vs just not plugging them into anything isn't really a problem in my mind, others might disagree.

are the xboxes wired in? they should be if you want low latency, wifi is a mess for latency control. How about the smart TV wired or wireless?

The AP's are wired through the switch. TV is wireless. All Roku's are wireless. The house isn't wired to every room. There is one computer that's wired at the moment. Oh and yes the Xbox One is wired.

Since I installed the new switch my speed test on dslreports is really bad. I was getting almost a gig but now it's 100 mb/s the computer I'm testing from has 10/100/1000 adapter. I gave it a static IP and tried again but it's the same. Also, if I check my wired connection of this computer it says it's connected to goblets which is the SSID of the wireless AP's. That can't be right, since the Brix is named tubescreamer. So it looks to me that it's getting connected through the wndr3800 somehow .

Sorry but I'm lost on that issue.

Speed test through wired using a desktop or laptop, with any wifi turned off. That's always the best place to start. Also make sure all cables are cat5e or cat6 no plain cat5.

Checked cables all 5e & 6. Computer I'm running speed test on shows the adapter is getting GB speed. Don't understand why the wired connection is named goblets instead of Brix's hostname and why I'm not getting a good speed test. I did turn off WiFi for the last test.
I changed the user name and password of the switch after I installed latest firmware. Also changed ip so it would be in the same subnet of all the other equipment. Should I have changed the IP?

Did you turn off DHCP on the wifi router that you converted to an ap? Try unplugging the AP... Keep it out of the equation during the test. Finally, check the firewall settings on the computer you are using for testing. I've seen windows firewalls drop speeds to a crawl

Yes but you should assign a static IP that isn't in use by any other device or in the DHCP range.