Converting a surplus x86 into an OpenWrt router

network.lan=interface
network.lan.type='bridge'
network.lan.ifname='eth0'
network.lan.proto='static'
network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.1.1'
network.lan.netmask='255.255.255.0'
network.lan.ip6assign='60'

LAN and WAN are still on the same subnet. You need to change the LAN IP on your LEDE router to a different subnet, for example 192.168.2.1 and then renew the IP address on your notebook.

That's wierd... You sent that last post and it showed up on the laptop I'm using connected to the Brix. Even though you said I need to change subnet. Sorry if I'm a little confused.
ahh... Maybe because I was already in the process of changing the subnet when you sent it. That happened quick.
Okay... That did it... Ping>0% packet loss

So now I need to get IPv6 up and get SQM installed. Also I need to change Brix subnet back to what it was before I drop it in place of the existing router... Right?
I searched SQM in luCi and there are 3 packages that come up. I know someone said to use piece of cake to install SQM before. I'll look into that.

I'm not sure which setup is needed for your ISP, the following might work.
Create an interface named wan6, set its protocol to "DHCPv6 client" and its physical interface to "eth1".

Not strictly, but changing it back is a good idea.

Searching for "piece" in our discussion finds the message you were looking for.
SQM documentation is also available in the wiki.

Awesome...SQM is setup. Just need to tune it. My isp uses IPv6 and so does xboxlive. I'm showing IPv6 wan status, not connected.

Wan6 won't be connected until the router is in place as primary, most likely

1 Like

I just wanted you guys to know that things are up and running. Brix is main router and I'm using a Netgear WNDR3800 as my wireless access point. The Asus router is running Merlin firmware and I got locked out of it while changing it to an access point. Once I get it back up and running it will be a second access point. I'll have to use stock firmware or Merlin again since wireless doesn't work with opwrt with it.The netgear is an n router but seems to be working well for streaming on the Roku's. The Asus of course is an ac router so I want it to be used.
I set SQM speeds at 90% of my speeds reported from dslreports on the Brix. I'm going to give the Xbox a go in a bit. That's how all this got started so I hope I see an improvement.
As far as IPv6 on the Brix on the status page it says IPv6 wan status> Not connected. But in DHCPv6 leases it is giving out IPv6 addresses. So is that working I take it?
I know there is so much more to learn about OpenWRT but I really want to thank all of you for your help and patience. I'm sure I asked a couple dumb questions. You all made me think and I was doing my own research as we went. I guess I was kind of anxious to get it going. It would of taken so much longer without the help offered here. Thanks so much.

Blockquote

1 Like

Sorry about that...I don't know what causes the messages to go in a box like that sometimes from my cell phone!

Great!

On the IPv6, OpenWRT is, by default, IPv6 enabled. IPv6 includes the concept of "link-local" addresses, which are either auto-configured, or sometimes given out by "router advertisements" that an IPv6 router periodically broadcasts. Of course, without IPv6 service on your WAN, you won't be able to go outside of your local network.

Might want to edit that previous post to get rid of the ``` surrounding it as even on a desktop I can't easily read it.

Might also want to change your thread title to something more meaningful for those that follow. Maybe something along the lines of "Converting a surplus x86 into an OpenWRT router"?

I will work on those two things. The problem I see here with the Xbox One is it isn't getting IPv6 because UPnP was not successful. How do I make sure Brix is using UPnP? I click on Status > Firewall. If UPnP has been properly enabled, the chains zone_wan_forward and zone_wan_prerouting will both contain an entry named "miniupnpd". I don't see miniupnpd there.

I agree with @jeff. Please try to fix the IPv6 WAN on your router first.
Let's first check your current configuration: run uci show network.wan6 and post the result here.

Sorry for perhaps obvious questions: Did you get IPv6 service from your provider with your previous router? Was it shown on the router's status page?

uci: entry not found

Try this:

uci show network | fgrep -i network.wan

root@tubescreamer:~# uci show network |fgrep -i network.wan
network.wan=interface
network.wan.ifname='eth1'
network.wan._orig_ifname='eth1'
network.wan._orig_bridge='false'
network.wan.proto='dhcp'
root@tubescreamer:~# root@tubescreamer:~# uci show network |fgrep -i network.wan
-ash: root@tubescreamer:~#: not found
root@tubescreamer:~# network.wan=interface
-ash: network.wan=interface: not found
root@tubescreamer:~# network.wan.ifname='eth1'
-ash: network.wan.ifname=eth1: not found
root@tubescreamer:~# network.wan._orig_ifname='eth1'
-ash: network.wan._orig_ifname=eth1: not found
root@tubescreamer:~# network.wan._orig_bridge='false'
-ash: network.wan._orig_bridge=false: not found
root@tubescreamer:~# network.wan.proto='dhcp'
-ash: network.wan.proto=dhcp: not found

Did you set up the wan6 interface?

root@tubescreamer:~# uci show network | fgrep -i network.wan
network.wan=interface
network.wan.ifname='eth1'
network.wan._orig_ifname='eth1'
network.wan._orig_bridge='false'
network.wan.proto='dhcp'
network.wan6=interface
network.wan6.proto='dhcpv6'
network.wan6.ifname='eth1'

With wan6 in place, if you do the full reboot dance (ISP equipment off your equip off, ISP on, wait, your new router on) do you get v4 and v6?

IPv6 is showing up on the Xbox now in networking but UPnP is still failing and Xbox has a moderate NAT....should be open. I haven't rebooted yet. Will do it tomorrow when I get home from work.

Yikes! If you can avoid enabling UPnP, I'd recommend it. Do you really trust every device on the network with the "keys" to your firewall?