Converting a surplus x86 into an OpenWrt router

Reinstalled lede stable....but I'm getting an unknown error in luCi, (password not changed). So I cannot ssh into Brix until it changes. Any ideas? Good afternoon by the way.
At the top right of luCi there is a blue box that says" unsaved changes". I have saved all that I did so far. If I reboot, all changes disappear.
Worked out that problem. Reinstalled again.

I am having trouble installing asix driver for the USB adapter. I am back on net by the uci commands. I have installed USB support as per https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/opkg
But now I'm trying to install: kmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179_4.4.92-1_x86_64.ipk. I also tried installing by the full path name to https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/17.01.4/targets/x86/64/packages/kmod-usb-net-asix-88179_4.4.92-1_x86_64.ipk.
Not working for me so I know I'm doing something wrong again.

You describe what you tried, but not what happened and why you think it is wrong. This makes it difficult to help you. Having said that, I would suggest to try these commands:

opkg update
opkg install kmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179

If you have a snapshot you need the kernel modules from that exact snapshot. Unfortunately that means that they're only available for a day or so until a new snapshot build completes and posts.

If what @mpa posted fails, and you're on a "release" (17.01.4), then please post the error message you got.

Opkg install kmod-usb-net-ax88179.ipk
Collected errors:
*wfopen: kmod-usb-net-asix.ipk: No such directory.

• pkg_init_from_file: Failed to extract control file from kmod-usb-net-asix88179.ipk
    Is it because I put .ipk at the end?

Yes... That was the problem.

When installing from network you just give module name. Installing from a package on filesys you give the filesystem path

I rebooted Brix and now I see eth1 on post as the asix. I have luCi up but do not see it in network>interfaces. I suppose there is some setup involved. Guess I'll get to reading.

In network interfaces you should see lan and wan. Select wan and set up the physical device for wan as eth1

All that's there is lan. There is the add new interface button. eth1 showed up during post on the monitor connected to Brix but not in luCi.

OpenWRT calls things "interfaces" that are not the same as "network devices" like "eth0". An OpenWRT "interface" is a logical thing like "wan" or "guest" or "lan" or whatnot.

Create a new interface, call it "wan" (lower case) and then under "physical settings" For that interface, tell it to use "eth1"

1 Like

Adapter seems to be working. I'm not connected to internet through it yet. I created interface and named it wan. Told it to use eth1 like you said but I haven't done any configuration yet... whatever that involves.

If you don't mind, please execute the following commands on your LEDE router and post their output:

uci revert network
uci show network.lan
uci show network.wan
uci revert dhcp
uci show dhcp.lan
uci show dhcp.wan

That's because I would like to be sure that my temporary LAN configuration is reverted, and that we have a common understanding of your current config to suggest the next steps.
Now you can try out the new WAN interface using the network as described by @jeff.

root@LEDE:~# uci revert network
root@LEDE:~# uci show network.lan
network.lan=interface
network.lan.type='bridge'
network.lan.ifname='eth0'
network.lan.proto='static'
network.lan.ipaddr='192.168.1.1'
network.lan.netmask='255.255.255.0'
network.lan.ip6assign='60'
root@LEDE:~# uci show netowrk.wan
uci: Entry not found
root@LEDE:~# uci show network.wan
network.wan=interface
network.wan.proto='static'
network.wan.ifname='eth1'
root@LEDE:~# uci revert dhcp
root@LEDE:~# uci show dhcp.lan
dhcp.lan=dhcp
dhcp.lan.interface='lan'
dhcp.lan.start='100'
dhcp.lan.limit='150'
dhcp.lan.leasetime='12h'
dhcp.lan.dhcpv6='server'
dhcp.lan.ra='server'
root@LEDE:~# uci show dhcp.wan
dhcp.wan=dhcp
dhcp.wan.interface='wan'
dhcp.wan.ignore='1'
root@LEDE:~#

so those look ok, except you probably need WAN to be a dhcp client.

you can change that in LuCi, go to network > interfaces > wan > edit > protocol = DHCP client

then save&apply

Then you're ready to try dropping it into place to see if it works. Or you could just attach WAN/USB ethernet to your existing router, but then if your existing router is already using 192.168.1.0/24 you probably want to change the network numbering on LAN first, maybe 192.168.11.0/24 for example

I have new router connected to existing router as per Jeff. I went to network>diagnostics and tried to ping lede-project.org.
ping: bad address 'lede-project.org'
I did the ping both before I changed Brix to DHCP client and after. I am using the switch between Brix and test machine. Could that be the problem Should I reboot the Brix?

A reboot doesn't hurt, especially since you are still in the setup/testing phase.
You could also try to ping an IP address, for example 8.8.8.8.
What does the WAN network status on the LuCI front page say?

IPv4 wan status>
Type: DHCP
Address: 192.168.1.36
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dns1: 192.168.1.1
Expires: 22h 40m 51s
Connected: 1hr 20m 11s

IPv6 is not connected and I want to have that.

PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) : data bytes

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Please run uci show network.lan and post its output.