Converting a surplus x86 into an OpenWrt router

Yes...I did have a space in it...ok.
Thanks

Any luck with that switch?

Sorry but no.. Today is my first day off since we left off. My daughter has softball tournament all weekend to. I will update when I get to it. Thanks for checking on me.

No problem I understand the kids thing completely, just didn't want you to fall off radar :grinning:

@Back in the house

Hi, I remember this. The remaining concern was why does your fancy TP-Link smart switch kill your bandwidth right? You upgraded to the latest v3 firmware here: https://static.tp-link.com/2018/201801/20180105/TL-SG108E_V3_20171214.zip

If you put that switch back in does everything still go haywire? Does it still go haywire if you turn off qos in the smart switch? Those are the next tests. Also you had ordered some fancy new cat6 cables, so put those in to rule out a cable issue.

The problem these days is getting the time to get the managed switch setup. I am using the Buffalo unmanaged one still. I get good tests on dslreports for the most part. A+ on the bufferbloat most of the time. Doesn't always help on Xboxlive but it is better since I went with the x86 OpenWRT rig.
Comcast had some issues in the area and have fixed it but I don't see a full gig on a test. I don't think I've ever seen much higher on a regular basis. I used to show in the 4000's for bandwidth in COD WW2 but it was down to 1040 the other night and is still around 2400 now. These are bandwidth figures within the games console info itself. Could be on their end, I don't know. I also show up as moderate NAT now too. I was thinking I needed to do an update to the firmware but I read some folks were having issues with it. I'm still using: LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.290.79498-d3f0685)
I'm going to do a speedtest tomorrow straight through the modem and see if I see close to the full gigabit. I'm getting around 750MB/sec, so I'm wondering if I'm loosing some through router.

I just realized that maybe I'm getting all I can through the router because of the settings in SQM. When you put in a lesser percentage of your down/up speeds from a test. So I may be back on par with what I was getting before the Comcast issues that were fixed today. It was an outage that was causing slowdowns and loss of signal for some. I only had a slowdown. Still not sure why I'm moderate and have low bandwidth in COD WW2. I was open and in the 4000's for the longest time since using this router.

You should be able to plug the Smart Switch into the dumb switch and you can test the smart switch that way without disrupting other users. You just need one device plugged into the smart switch for testing purposes, like a laptop or even a desktop.