make
appear error then i run command
make -j1 V=s
I had run
make check
make download
an the same error

"checking whether mkfifo rejects trailing slashes... yes
checking whether mknod can create fifo without root privileges... configure: error: in /home/huy/Downloads/source/build_dir/host/tar-1.29': configure: error: you should not run configure as root (set FORCE_UNSAFE_CONFIGURE=1 in environment to bypass this check) Seeconfig.log' for more details
Makefile:30: recipe for target '/home/huy/Downloads/source/build_dir/host/tar-1.29/.configured' failed
make[3]: *** [/home/huy/Downloads/source/build_dir/host/tar-1.29/.configured] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/huy/Downloads/source/tools/tar'
tools/Makefile:149: recipe for target 'tools/tar/compile' failed
make[2]: *** [tools/tar/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/huy/Downloads/source'
tools/Makefile:147: recipe for target '/home/huy/Downloads/source/staging_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/stamp/.tools_compile_yynyyyyynyyyyynyynnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyynyynynyyyynnny' failed
make[1]: *** [/home/huy/Downloads/source/staging_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/stamp/.tools_compile_yynyyyyynyyyyynyynnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyynyynynyyyynnny] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/huy/Downloads/source'
/home/huy/Downloads/source/include/toplevel.mk:199: recipe for target 'world' failed
make: *** [world] Error 2"
Please tell me how to do

its not clear ?

yes, when i run command:
set FORCE_UNSAFE_CONFIGURE=1
the same error as before.

1 Like

You're reading the wrong part of the quoted answer, don't run your build as root!

1 Like

I run command
export FORCE_UNSAFE_CONFIGURE=1
it works as root

2 Likes

Comments like these aren't helpful unless you give context. What is the impact of compiling firmware as root? Can you provide an example?

1 Like

There is no need to download source, compile, or build images for OpenWrt as root.

"Best practice" for any use of computers, building OpenWrt or otherwise, is to never use elevated privileges unless absolutely necessary.

Even when building on and for a desktop Linux distro, one almost always can build the source with user privilege; only when installing is elevated privilege required.

Any errors seen by the OP were most likely due to misconfiguration of their system, unrelated to OpenWrt, or to running something in the build directories as root, "tainting" the files' or directories' ownership.

Thank you! So apart from not being best practice, the risk is in tainting ownership of files/directories in the build image?

Fact 1: there is no need to build as root
Fact 2: there are multiple consequences (real problems) that might (and often do) arise when ignoring this advice.
Fact 3: no one sane, or just non-stupid, ever tries building as root, so problems (including grave ones) will go unnoticed when trying

An incomplete list of consequences could be:

• data loss
  • unintended changes of ownership/ access rights (ACLs, SElinux labels, etc.)
  • clobbered filesystems, leading to bricked installations (a real example, in the past buggy gcc versions would replace /dev/null with a file, leading to very 'funny' results)
  • not all packages are necessarily sufficiently self-contained, so files (libraries, binaries, headers, etc.) might escape the build root and overwrite system files (which will have funny results, given the differing target arch and base libc involved).
  • building OpenWrt might fail, because no one sane (neither upstream nor OpenWrt developers) will build as root
  • the chances for miscompiled firmware images or individual packages rises significantly

Counter question, if I'd shoot myself into the foot - is the only consequence of doing so the resulting hole in the foot?! After all, that might come in handy for the funeral director, to hang the corpses in a row.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.