Build for Netgear R7800

whole collectd will get recompiled. Buildbot always handles the whole package.

But only the cpufreq plugin actually changed (in addition to the version number). There should be no need to reinstall collectd itself or the other plugins.

@hnyman, I ended up upgrading all upgradable packages including collectd and its plugins. I installed collectd-mod-cpufreq and enabled it, but "CPU Frequency" tab is not showing up on the statistics page. I rebooted several times and deleted the rrd directory, but nothing. There is a directory "cpufreq" with two files in it: "cpufreq-0.rrd" and "cpufreq-1.rrd" (and the time stamps on them are changing) but no statistics is being displayed.

Am I missing anything here?

Now it showed up. It took its sweet time, but is available now...

Hi. Tried several builds of LEDE and your optimised Version.
All Versions flashed well but the wifi settiong is missing. As i have read there was a problem with the ath10k driver which seems to be fixed, but not for me.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Maybe i should mention, that the device is from the Netgear beta Test. Possibly Netgear changed some Hardware ID after the test? How can i check this. Or which Information is needed to get the Wifi up with your Build which seems great besides the WIFI issue.

No idea what you could do if all of the builds refuse to recognise the radio. Most likely you have somehow different radio hardware. You need to check the kernel boot log what gets displayed regarding the radios. You might post that here in the forum and ask for more advice.

But please ask that in a separate thread, as your problem is not related to my build.

I think your issue is similar to this person with a D7800.
https://bugs.lede-project.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=453&area=lajafnuiuuymb

hnyman can you post these files from your R7800.

/lib/firmware/ath10k/cal-pci-0001:01:00.0.bin
/lib/firmware/ath10k/cal-pci-0000:01:00.0.bin

Copying the 2 pci-caldata files listed in the previously mentioned bug report thread for the D7800 to my R7800 after deleting the originals got me working wireless.

I uploaded the two files to the download directory in Dropbox:
(note that the colons ":" are repalced with %3A in the filename)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ew0gap0crn30wyk/AADQLCBF5All8wc8RXmxisqAa

1 Like

I greatly appreciate your help hnyman, thanks for the files.

EDIT:
Using your files hnyman, no more 5ghz crashes under sustained transfers which require reboot and "160" Mhz option is available, though that's trivial. So your files did the magic :relaxed:.

By the way I was using your 4149 build.

But does your "160 MHz" option work? It doesn't work at all for the R7800.

Good point, I didn't actually try to use it as I have no 160Mhz clients i.e. another R7800..

The local country-specific CRDA settings play a role here, especially regarding the radar detection (DFS). It is quite possible that 160 is not available.

E.g. For me the command "iw list" mentions 160 as hardware capability, but the valid interface combinations (last line) says only 80:

VHT Capabilities (0x339b79fa):
                Max MPDU length: 11454
                Supported Channel Width: 160 MHz, 80+80 MHz
valid interface combinations:
         * #{ managed } <= 1, #{ AP, mesh point } <= 16,
           total <= 16, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz, 40 MHz, 80 MHz }

I live in the United States, so I believe I should be able to use VHT160 on channel 36. But manually setting channel 36 and 160 MHz prevents the radio from starting up.

I get the same stuff as you do:

valid interface combinations:
             * #{ managed } <= 1, #{ AP, mesh point } <= 16,
               total <= 16, #channels <= 1, STA/AP BI must match, radar detect widths: { 20 MHz (no HT), 20 MHz, 40 MHz, 80 MHz }

Well, looking into it further it kinda looks like wireless-regdb wasn't fully updated to support the FCC's new rules allowing 160 MHz on channel 36.

FYI even if you were to use the 160Mhz option, in 160 MHz mode router goes into a 2x2 state rather than 4x4 and overall range is supposed to decrease. That was the information from Netgear. However if you had a 160Mhz 2x2 client like the upcoming Intel 9260(9560 for OEM) then it would be an advantage.

hnyman, thanks for your efforts and dedication to this project. I've learnt a lot reading your posts and contributions. I appreciate your attention to detail and focus. In my quest for the "holy grail" of routers, I purchased a TP-Link Archer C7 V2 several years ago with the intention of using OpenWRT on it, but I was not satisfied with the strength of the radio amplifiers. I eventually settled with a Netgear R7000 with stock firmware and upgraded to an R7800 with Voxel's optimised software which worked well. But that is no substitute for LEDE/OpenWRT.

I've been using your R7800 LEDE build for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed. It seems like this router has become the "holy grail" device that I have been looking for. Great hardware, good value, and now excellent, stable, software too. I am now deploying this setup for several friends too.

On to my question:
Voxel's optimisation of stock firmware brings some significant improvements by using specific compilation optimisations for the CPU and software like OpenSSL.

Do your builds already make use of these types of optimisations?

Voxel 1
Voxel 2

I briefly looked at his build intro, and some of his optimisations are already the default in LEDE. E.g. ipq806x CPU is by default "cortex-a15" with further "neon-vfpv4" tweaks. I use default OpenSSL so there he might have something.

That's good news, thanks. When my second R7800 arrives I'll try to do some performance comparisons with OpenVPN etc.

Is this the right place to ask about USB support for the R7800 LEDE Firmware? I have a USB Stick that won't even list as connected other than in dmesg. It was formatted UDF and I installed the kmod udf stuff and after that didn't help I formatted the stick as FAT32 on my computer. Still no chance to get it listed in fstab.

Should it work by now?

Thank you!

Fat formatted USB sticks work ok for me, so the build itself should be ok.

Which version of my build you are using?
Note that this is not a generic support thread, but about my community build.

I see that you mentioned irqbalance needs to be activated manually hnyman, can you tell me how to do that. Sorry I am a bit of a noob.

Is it "service irqbalance start"?

1 Like