Build for Netgear R7800

@g0nzales It's a bug/feature. The feature helps avoid needing to do a hard reset when it can't "verify" that the configuration change worked. You'll need to be able to log into LUCI on the router on the new IP within 30 seconds. Overall this feature is pretty awesome.

Since this isn't always feasible, changing the IP via command line might be easier.

Yes, I can see that the configuration rollback is useful in most cases, but in my case it was highly irritating and costed me a lot of time. Making it more clear what LUCI expects from one in such a case would be very useful I think.

Anyway, just wanted to make sure that isn't a R7800 / build-specific bug.

Like already explained above, the new LuCI rollback functionality tries to prevent soft-bricks. The new config gets applied and there is 30 sec waiting for browser re-connection & automatic confirmation of a still working config. If that waiting passes without automatic confirmation, the rollback starts and you see that "failed..." message during rollback. After rollback, you should be offered the next dialog at the old 1.1 address explaining the failure and offering you a possibility to apply the changes in any case "apply unchecked". At this point the router should be back at the old IP range, just as your PC still is and your browser is. And you should see the dialog like shown in Davidc502- wrt1200ac wrt1900acx wrt3200acm wrt32x builds - #254 by jow by @jow

Change of router's IP is just the most problematic case, as it can be done with purpose, or it can be unintentional and would cause unexpected bricking.

The rollback functionality has worked ok the past few months in master, but @jow recently backported it to 18.06. I have not tested router address change via LuCI with 18.06 personally, but that worked ok in master a while ago when I tested it.

1 Like

@hnyman Alright, fair enough then -- thanks for the fast feedback! Looking forward to use / test your builds :slight_smile:

Hey. I installed the latest master-r7530-7c306ae640-20180720. I connected the usb drive 3.
For fast samba and I have very low transfers on both cable and wifi. Disk usb 3 ext 4 and max transfers about 12MB / s after wifi (link 866). On the cable around 21 MB / s. On the original netgear for wifi (link 1733) I had about 50 MB / s and after the cable about 80MB / s. I mean mainly reading from disks. Question is it normal to make such a difference? I would like to use r7800 as a NAS for multimedia for the whole house. Can you test yourself? Thank you and best regards.

Get a separate network attached NAS. Much better experience in my experience.

1 Like

this can sound offtopic, but i'd like to try to build myself an image and i wonder if anyone tried to reproduce the @hnyman build environment on a raspberry :slight_smile:
Is it going to take forever to build a lede image? :slight_smile:

On a rapsberry pi? Why put yourself through that, if only for the fun then I guess. But yes, I would expect a a day or two to compile a build.

oh well yes, it was just to see if it works :slight_smile:
but two days compile is too much fun ahah

well on raspbian there's no package gcc-multilib
and i get some warning during install

WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/utils/busybox/Makefile' has a build dependency on 'libpam', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libgnutls', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libopenldap', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libidn2', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/utils/curl/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libssh2', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/boot/kexec-tools/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblzma', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/network/services/lldpd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libnetsnmp', which does not exist

but eventually the build started :sunny:
i think it's also working on a single core so it's really gonna take forever, but that's nice :slight_smile:
(i also run it from a ssh session so no, i'm not gonna see how long will it take to die :))

Use the parallel build script or make - j 2 to run on two cores.

That's a massive drop in performance must be OpenWrt related. My WRT32X runs about 80-100MB/s both read and write over USB 3.0.

I understand that your WRT32X works on the latest openwrt. I am surprised, however, that there are so many R7800 users with openwrt and this problem does not bother them at all. The whole openwrt is great but slow transfers after USB 3 unfortunately ruined everything. I do not want another device in the form of Nas. Is there a chance to fix this. It would be great that the speed after USB 3 approached the original netgear software.

What is TFTP flash? Would like to use newer builds but no clue what this method is.

R7800 has an easy-to-use TFTP recovery mode in the bootloader

1 Like

Reliability of community-based firmware is directly proportional to how mainstream your profile of usage is. This is due to abysmal QA protocols and decentralized nature of development.

So if you want USB to work properly, you may want to start hunting DD-WRT forums for some random build for R7800 which makes USB work, but breaks something you don't use, like VPN. Because something will always be broken.

IMO you're better off not using a router as a network media sharing server. It's kinda like buying a VHS player that doubles as a clothes iron. Just dedicate a device to serving the files, and let the router route.

not an optimistic way to look at the world :slight_smile:
But yes, trying different version of LEDE to see if one of them has USB fast enough would be a good place to start.
If you find one, you should go up version by version looking for the specific one breaking USB
then you should find out which modification is breaking usb
and then you can try to fix it
easy, isn't it? :slight_smile:

You may try SATA interface, but ned cable eSATA+USB-to-SATA+power or eSATA-SATA and additional power, yes - R7800 doesn't provide power on eSATA.
This is old 2.5" Hitachi HDD 5400rpm:

#hdparm -Tt /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1:
 Timing cached reads:   1204 MB in  2.00 seconds = 602.20 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 132 MB in  3.01 seconds =  43.87 MB/sec

My theoretical parameters of the usb 3.0 drive are not bad. But this has nothing to do with the real transfers I get from the cable or wifi :frowning:

hdparm -Tt /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
Timing cached reads: 1146 MB in 2.00 seconds = 572.94 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 172 MB in 3.00 seconds = 57.30 MB/sec

IMO you're better off not using a router as a network media sharing server. It's kinda like buying a VHS player that doubles as a clothes iron. Just dedicate a device to serving the files, and let the router route.

Could not have said it better. I started down the USB support path way back and was never happy with how it worked no matter the firmware being run, OEM or 3rd party.

I finally figured out what is said above. Routers are for routing and supporting clients and not for things like media server. Only time I have had a flash drive connected to a router in the recent past was when I was trying Yamon on a dd-wrt server and Yamon required a flash drive for support. A network attached NAS is the only way to go.

Just MHO and $.02.

2 Likes