Build for Netgear R7800

Sorry, I need to check things.
I now look at my own router and notice that it actually is still at master, too.
I will investigate.

The sysupgrade trouble is actually related to the "double partitions" detected by MTD, which was mentioned yesterday in the exploration thread by @Magnetron1.1
Netgear R7800 exploration (IPQ8065, QCA9984)

Log from serial console:

Sending KILL to remaining processes ...
Switching to ramdisk...
[  153.290095] UBIFS (ubi0:1): background thread "ubifs_bgt0_1" stops
[  153.398774] UBIFS (ubi0:1): un-mount UBI device 0
Performing system upgrade...
Unlocking kernel ...

Writing from <stdin> to kernel ...
ubiattach: error!: strtoul: unable to parse the number '6 mtd10'
ubiattach: error!: bad MTD device number: "6 mtd10"
ubiformat: error!: more then one MTD device specified (use -h for help)
ubiattach: error!: strtoul: unable to parse the number '6 mtd10'
ubiattach: error!: bad MTD device number: "6 mtd10"
libubi: error!: "/dev/" is not a character device
ubimkvol: error!: error while probing "/dev/"
          error 22 (Invalid argument)
cannot create rootfs volume
libubi: error!: "/dev/" is not a character device
ubiupdatevol: error!: error while probing "/dev/"
              error 22 (Invalid argument)
tar: write error: Broken pipe
mount: mounting /dev/ on /tmp/new_root failed: Invalid argument
mounting ubifs  failed
sysupgrade successful
umount: can't unmount /dev: Resource busy
umount: can't unmount /tmp: Resource busy
[  154.913143] reboot: Restarting system

Looks like the ubiattach gets "6mtd10" as arguiment, while it should get "6".
Likely there is "mtd6 mtd10" initially, and the first mtd gets stripped away but the second word is unexpected.

Thx for looking into this. I guess that once a fix to remove the phantom partitions is implemented, a TFTP will be required anyway to deploy it...

The double MTD kernel & ubi partitions seems to be a recent bug in the base system.

I tested with today's buildbot snapshot, my own master from two days ago, and my master from last week:

• double partition in buildbot snapshot r7344 and my master r7314
  • normal situation in my build r7275 from last week.

Looks like a major regression in master a few days ago.
The issue will likely hit also some other routers.

The culprit is likely:

+CONFIG_MTD_SPLIT_UIMAGE_FW=y

in the commit in the regression range:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=4645a6d3183ad27ab1ca74ed82495ac8f6019331
"ipq806x: add support for NEC Aterm WG2600HP"

I built a test build of r7344 with "CONFIG_MTD_SPLIT_UIMAGE_FW=y" reverted in target/linux/ipq806x/config-4.14, and that fixes sysupgrade again.
master-r7344-6e3c2d757a-20180627-large-flash

1 Like

Another issue I observed with your latest master build: the Network/Wireless never displays Associated Stations. Are you experiencing it too?

28%20PM

Has anyone tested creating multiple 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSIDs? I'm not having luck, but wondering if I'm configuring something wrong or if it's just not supported.

latest? Today's build?
I assume that was fixed in LuCI yesterday.

so it should work with my latest build.

1 Like

Not today's; I have not upgraded from he previous one yet but to the sys upgrade issue.

So upgrading from a broken build to your latest was a disaster. I TFTP'ed r7275 and then upgraded to r7344 with no issues and the Associated Stations are displaying the clients now. Thx.

Ditto ... My experience as well.

master-r7345-681e825f8f-20180627-large-flash
owrt1806-r7106-7775802eb9-20180627-large-flash

Should fix the sysupgrade again.

Sysupgrade got broken as a new device was introduced on 19 June to ipq806x and the default mtd options were changed. That broke the mtd partition detection in ipq806x Netgear routers so that "kernel" and "ubi" were founds twice.
This affected both master and 18.06.

Users may be prevented from sysupgrading away builds of 19-27 June. TFTP flash may be needed. The symptom is that the router reboots but to the old firmware.

Note that this concerns also the buildbot snapshots and release builds (like 18.06.0-rc1).

1 Like

Upgrading an R7800 from 17.01.4 to 18.06.0-rc1 will not work? or are you only talking about custom builds to 18.06.0-rc1.

It will not. 18.06 just got a 4MB kernel partition, so a TFTP is the only way to go.

1 Like

about the associate stations there was a bug in luci... fixed yesterday :wink:

cant add switch vlans. add button doesnt do anything.

You are not using my build, that this thread is about, so please take the question to the "R7800 exploration" thread, where R7800 performance is discussed.

Thanks. Will do.

I recently attained 350 Mbps internet, but seem to be having difficulty attaining it with this firmware. I noticed when downloading that ksoftirqd/1 was heavily loaded (50%) and so TFTP flashed the latest OpenWRT 18.06 package to enabled hardware NAT offloading - unfortunately this has had no benefit.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the ksoftirqd load when downloading? I can barely attain 280Mbps, let alone 350 currently :(.

wireless? wired? I can hit 384Mbps on both with flow offload enabled on my own custom build based on this one. I set the affinity of eth0, eth1 and wlan0 (802.11 ac) to 1 and wlan1 to 2