Build for Netgear R7800

it's possible...what temps do yours normally run at? the various zones on mine are running at mid-high 50s after i moved some stuff around, previously it was running at mid-high 60s.

hmm...actually it seems nlbwmon was going bonkers and causing core 0 to run at max frequency all the time.

Restored the backup after comparing with the default config files. The only difference was in the Adblock, that merged.

~45 degrees, give or take a degree or two.

hmm, mine is running at 55 since i killed the rogue nlbwmon, but ambient atm is 28.

For the builds uploaded in dropbox, could you upload also the corresponding kmod packages?

:joy::rofl::laughing:

Sorry, I only compile those kmods that are included in the built firmare.

i complied a firmware,and clean flash,
but the wireless config can not be set,I have to edit /etc/config/wireless.
it seems a luci bug, does somebody get it?

Failed to execute arcombine dispatcher target for entry '/admin/network/wireless/radio0.network1'.
The called action terminated with an exception:
/usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/admin_network/wifi.lua:217: bad argument #3 to '?' (integer expected, got number)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/util.lua:41: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/util.lua:30>
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/model/cbi/admin_network/wifi.lua:217: in function 'func'
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/cbi.lua:66: in function 'load'
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:831: in function 'target'
	/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:952: in function </usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:948>

Hi All, I just got gigabit fiber so I needed to upgrade my router and was hoping the R7800 would be a good OSS solution. On the OEM firmware I'm getting 950Mbps out the WAN but with OpenWRT it's down to 630Mbps (I know, poor me). I've seen some mention about certain OEM hardware acceleration not being possible in OpenWRT. Is that what's likely causing this difference? Is there something I can try to get the router throughput up?

The only thing you could do at the moment would be using a current snapshot (master or 18.06) with kernel 4.14 and with flow-offloading enabled. There is some hope for improvement via DSA and hardware offloading via the two NSS cores, but that isn't functional yet (and it's unclear if it will ever materialize).

If you need routing at 1 GBit/s, you really should look at x86 first and foremost, but mvebu and mt7621 should also be able to cope with that.

1 Like

@slh Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately snapshot gives me 400Mbps and 540 when I tick "Software flow offloading". I guess there's other stuff in the latest that slowing it down from 17.01.

if you enable flow offloading, I assume we dont have hardware NAT working?
Also can you only have off loading or SQM enabled? As in they both wont work together?

report this here... i found the problem... with some specifi type of compilation math.floor in lua breaks...

https://github.com/openwrt/luci/pull/1768

master-r7093-4fdc6ca31b-20180603-large-70MB-flash

I build a test build with a large 70 MB flash partition, taking the unused "netgear" partition into use. Works ok. and reverting to OEM firmware worked ok, too.

Requires TFTP installation.

1 Like

I believe that plain sysupgrade will work too, settings won't be saved though

i picked this commit,it fixed,thx

you might be right. I used TFTP, but also a normal sysupgrade might work, as the kernel size stays the same.

But I remember seeing old forum discussion in the 19MB thread and some test users claimed, that sysupgrade did not work.

Doesn't look like sysupgrade works, I don't see the 70mb partition space anywhere?

Capture

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 6.3M 6.3M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 233.6M 568.0K 233.0M 0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_1 14.9M 320.0K 13.8M 2% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 14.9M 320.0K 13.8M 2% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev

Sysupgrade has worked but didn't change partition layout - info from first hand :slight_smile: I've tested it first on 17.01, and that "19M" thread was mine :slight_smile:
Images with bigger firmware partition are buit by @Cezary for a long time and works perfectly. Maybe now it's time to "eat" also 'reserved' partition...

Read the R7800 exploration thread. I feel it is better to leave it intact for now.

1 Like