Build for Netgear R7800

Yes, master has newer musl libc versions, so master packages are not compatible with the old 17.01 firmware. The same goes also for some other libraries.

You need to use 17.01 packages for a 17.01 firmware.

1 Like

oh, that makes sense, I didin't realized I was trying to use the packages for master.. I have installed some other packages from there, on the old release, and they all instaled fine, except that specific one.
Maybe it's time for me to switch from the old release to the master release. Just waiting for DNSCrypt v2 to be available on Lede, and I'll jump. :slight_smile:

Have a pretty fast internet connection (500Mbits). The R7800 on the stock firmware hits 940Mbits down/800Mbits up NAT no problem, (yes I know without QoS but have no buffer bloat issues I get A/A+ ratings). Been holding off on OpenWrt/LEDE because of this. How is this build at performance? I know there's no HW NAT, but does it do SFE/FastPath or Flow Offloading? I did see the comits which seems to indicate Flow Offload is coming with OpenWrt 2018 once that releases... DD-WRT does SFE which runs pretty quick but not as fast as OEM. Want to of course max my internet connection. Thanks!

No.
Flow offloading is for kernel 4.14 and above (and ipq806x is still on 4.9).
I tried SFE FastPath, but did not get enough benefit of that (and lost SQM), so I dropped it.

1 Like

R7800 should do gigabit speeds NATed even without offloading.

Not with SQM...

1 Like

SQM cannot be used with any offloading technique anyway, so the lack of offloading is a moot point in that case anyway :wink:

1 Like

master-r6646-cb7ac151cd-20180408 has two fixes from nbd, which improve latency should decrease occasional spikes in ping tests.

1 Like

@hnyman, would you consider adding the collectd-mod-contextswitch plugin to you build? That is a mossing piece right now to analyze the CPU load and complements the other two CPU plugins you already include.

I could do that, but you should also be able to opkg install that quite easily, as it has no dependencies.

Right, it worked. Thx. I was operating under the assumption that it is a no-no to install anything on the custom builds. I now remember that it mostly applies to kernel modules...

Yep, it only applies to kernel modules and those packages that directly link to kernel modules. You can install most userspace packages.

For that reason I also include the kmod-tun package in my build, so that openvpn can be opkg installed (as openvpn does not directly depend on kernel, but its dependency kmod-tun does...)

hnyman I have a few question about upgrading to one of your master builds. Currently I'm on LEDE Reboot 17.01.2 is it ok to sysupgrade in to your most current Master build with the Luci function?

Sysupgrade from 17.01 builds should be ok.
(I jump between master and 17.01 all the time when testing new builds)

All gravy on the upgrade just have another question though.

I see more interfaces than I did before. What do some of them mean?

Super big thx. I already cut down my jitter threshold in half on the sourceforge speed test, normally the modem would spike. Shaved another 10-20ms off on general ping times to certain servers. This build on my current config is insane.

Next part is off topic but definitely relevant to forum and networking.

Does anyone know the proper way to have router mark packets for the ethernet/wireless interface so that when they go to my devices that the marking are sent. I keep getting 0 for certain traffic when 48 should e there.

iptables -o postrouting -A OUTPUT -p udp -m udp -d 192.168.X.XXX --dport 8000:26000 -t mangle -j DSCP --set-dscp 48

I admit, I'm noob but my madness in regards to tweaking for bufferbloat is done with getting this command right.

Yes, it is off topic, so please ask it elsewhere: in the network config section of the forum. There is nothing build-specific.

I need some help setting up ipv6.
I'm unable to get an ipv6 address as DHCPv6 client, and I'm not sure how to debug this. Neither the master or the 17.0.1 build seem to work
I plugged in my previous d-link 825 with OpenWrt and it works fine, I get an IPv6 address '2a01:6300:<more_stuff>:676f/64' as dhcpv6 client on the wan6 interface. I checked all the settings and they are all the default settings, matching the ones I have on the r7800.
I'm not sure what to try next...

I have flashed "master-r6687-d13c7acd9e-20180413" but due to OpenVPN client is having some bug (comp_lzo is not working properly and I am getting some error when trying to connect) I wanted to go back to stable by flashing "R7800-lede1701-r3870-afca23558a-20180407-1538-sqfs-sysupgrade.tar" (as that was working fine) and now I am getting this message:
The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

The instructions are at the bottom of the very first post in this thread.

1 Like

oups, that's right, I haven't seen that...
Thank you!