Build for Netgear R7800

hmm...i am completely clueless about this, i will have a dig around and see if i can work out what is going on. i did read (eg http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2013/03/80211ac-channel-planning.html) that actually it shouldn't be possible to use channel 48 at all for 80Mhz, only channel 42 is available without DFS in the UK.

i swear that's what i had before though, i remember the WiFi Analyzer graphs and they looked completely different to now (the coverage was higher in the frequency band).

Great build, i bought a r7800 specifically because of this firmware.
I saw they added kmod-ipt-offload in default images, will that be in this build too?

1 Like

Yes, it is in the defaults, so it will be here, too, (but ipq806x needs to be upgraded for 4.14 kernel first).

But the support for it in the firewall is currently still only in nbd's stanging repo.
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/staging/nbd.git;a=shortlog

flowoffload is only available for kernel 4.14 and newer, while ipq806x is still on 4.9.

Ok, you are right. Might be some while until ipq806x gets into 4.14

I see, I thought the ipq806x support was in the default linux kernels, now I know why r7800 is on kernel 4.9 too. Thanks.

Hi all. First off, thank you for the build hnyman. It's fantastic.

Just picked up a r7800 to run at my parents house to replace an old Apple all-in-one that isn't quite up for the task anymore. Are the stable builds stable enough to make a setup like this work at the moment? Not doing anything fancy, but I've only got a few days to test stability and I haven't used OpenWRT/LEDE in a long time. Any memory leaks / should I go ahead and cron job a reboot every two weeks or so, or are others having a good experience with it? Worst case I can just drive back and try to fix it. Might try to setup wireguard if I get some extra time for remote troubleshooting.

Otherwise, it's working amazingly well. Range is incredible, SQM/cake working fantastically on a network that had horrendous bufferbloat, ad-blocking doing a great job on phones that traditionally can't block some of the advertisements.

Finally, I didn't see anything in the rules about this, but if you have a donation link or url hnyman, I'd like to send you a few bucks.

Hmm. talking about stable or master?
Both the "stable" branch 17.01 build and the master branch build are stable enough for continuous operation.

Master is ok for 99% of the time, but naturally there is more fluctuation in the functionality and package versions, so for a remote installation at parents' house the 17.01 is likely a safer choice.

2 Likes

Hi all,
building from master, but since at least one month I cannot use luci for the upgrade.
when loading the .bin remains stuck at 0% or 1%.
Used both Chrome and Firefox.
Upgrading manually transferring the .bin via ftp and running sysupgrade works perfectly.
Any suggestion?
Thanks
Sergio

Sorry discovered that the antivirus was the reason!!

Stable. All I needed to know -- thank you! Gonna replace my router at home with this as well. Was planning on Ubiquiti but their USG isn't powerful enough to do SQM yet (well, for connections > 60mbps).

@hnyman thanks again for maintaining this build.
I'm following your master builds and I wonder what's the trigger for a new build? Every few days? By constantly flashing the device is there any degradation of the persistency storage?

I'm looking at enabling adblocking and wonder if the one you chose was verified as secured? It fetches lists from the Internet and uses a script to modify dnsmasq configuration which potentially can be risky if the script do not properly handles the lists. I also wonder wouldn't it be better to use privoxy with something like this: https://github.com/essandess/adblock2privoxy as this solution will also work on URL filtering and content element hiding for HTTP (none ssl) sites.

Thanks.

Yep, I build master and 17.01 for R7800 and WNDR3700 regularly and for WRT3200ACM seldom, and the build schedule is naturally also affected by my other activities, so there is no clear rhythm for the builds.

I am using the adblock package that works also for other apps and protocols than HTTP(S), but if you want to use something else, feel free. DNS based approach has the widest effect by blocking the whole address, but if you want to restrict access just for web browsing, you can naturally use a http proxy.

@hnyman your scripts checkout the current master correct? so if master has moved on (as it seems to have) then some of the patches don't apply and it is hard(er) to reproduce your exact build.

i know it's mainly your personal build environment, but have you thought about adding an option to checkout the exact commit ids that the build was built with?

The most recent patches usually apply ok, but every now and then there is a temporary flaw, as the underlying repo has changed.

Today there is error, as my own pull request for busybox change was merged to master yesterday, so the busybox-related patches (still in the last build) produce an error when applied.

The next build will again merge flawlessy.

You can so easily git checkout the commit by yourself, that producing separate logic/script for that is unnecessary. The relevant commit is visible in the *status.txt file and in the version name.

If you first manually clone the git repo, you can then then "git checkout <hash>" and apply the patches manually.

yes that's true, just thought it might make it easier for n00bs like me :slight_smile:.

All patches in master-r6613-58fe527931-20180404 should again apply cleanly.

I may consider adding a commented-out commit-specific git checkout (or git reset --hard) line to the newbuildroot script.

1 Like

Thank you for providing these builds: they have been a great help for the new people to get started.

3 Likes

Any way to track what commits your current builds are based on? Since you upload with no changelog.

Sure.
The exact version and date is visible already in the version name:
E.g.
master-r6613-58fe527931-20180404

But I have no intention to start spamming this thread with the Openwrt generic commit log, as everybody can see that general changelog from the main git repo.

The exact version of all included feeds are also included in the builds themselves. The download directory of each build contains the ...status.txt file that has all relevant info about source commits in each feed, as well as the info on all files changed by me.

Example from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ew0gap0crn30wyk/AACWGaZscIE4eZmk3vcDPMITa/master-r6613-58fe527931-20180404?dl=0&preview=R7800-master-r6613-58fe527931-20180404-1830-status.txt

master-r6613-58fe527931-20180404-1830

######################################################

origin	https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git (fetch)
* master
2018-04-04 58fe527 ar71xx: Fix typo in wan LED color of gl-m
A  .config.init
M  .gitignore
A  files/etc/Compile_info.txt
A  files/etc/applyHNsettings.sh
A  files/etc/checksettings.sh
A  files/etc/config/fstab
A  files/etc/hotplug.d/ntp/20-ntpd-logger
A  files/etc/lan-repeater.sh
A  files/etc/saveHNsettings.sh
A  hnscripts/copyPackages2tmp.sh
A  hnscripts/createbuildinfo.sh
A  hnscripts/kernelcompile.sh
A  hnscripts/mountNcopy.sh
A  hnscripts/newBuildroot.sh
A  hnscripts/parallelcompile.sh
A  hnscripts/singlecompile.sh
A  hnscripts/timestampVersion.sh
A  hnscripts/updateNmake.sh
M  package/base-files/files/bin/config_generate
M  package/base-files/files/etc/rc.button/reset
A  package/kernel/mac80211/patches/970-ath10k-QCA-LED-support.patch
M  package/network/ipv6/6in4/files/6in4.sh
M  package/network/services/dnsmasq/files/dhcp.conf
M  package/network/services/hostapd/files/hostapd.sh
M  package/network/services/hostapd/files/wps-hotplug.sh
M  package/utils/busybox/Makefile
A  package/utils/busybox/patches/310-save-history-in-tmp.patch
M  target/linux/ipq806x/base-files/etc/board.d/01_leds
M  target/linux/ipq806x/files-4.9/arch/arm/boot/dts/qcom-ipq8065-r7800.dts
?? .config.init190318
?? ath10k-led-v10.patch
?? ath10k-led-v11.patch
?? ath10k-led-v12.patch
?? ath10k-led-v8.patch
?? ath10k-led-v9.patch
?? blong.hyva.patch
?? blong.natti.patch
?? blong.toimii.patch
?? c97a80aa470439284ae68845cf735798fbff5d76.patch
?? files/etc/HNsettings.r7800-081017.cpt
?? v8-toimii.patch
?? version.date

origin	https://git.openwrt.org/project/luci.git (fetch)
* master
2018-04-03 f5671b4 Merge pull request #1715 from TDT-AG/pr/2
M  applications/luci-app-statistics/root/etc/config/luci_statistics
M  modules/luci-base/root/etc/config/luci
M  modules/luci-mod-admin-full/luasrc/view/admin_system/flashops.htm
M  themes/luci-theme-bootstrap/root/etc/uci-defaults/30_luci-theme-bootstrap
M  themes/luci-theme-material/root/etc/uci-defaults/30_luci-theme-material

origin	https://git.openwrt.org/feed/packages.git (fetch)
* master
2018-04-04 418dd16 Merge pull request #5869 from mlichvar/ch
M  net/bcp38/files/bcp38.config
M  net/nlbwmon/files/nlbwmon.init
A  net/sqm-scripts/patches/010-ipq806x-default-wan-is-eth0.patch
M  net/vsftpd/files/vsftpd.conf

hi hnyman,
Any idea why the installation of http://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/packages/arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4/packages/dnscrypt-proxy_1.9.5-8_arm_cortex-a15_neon-vfpv4.ipk fails, while the default 1.9.4 version is installing perfectly fine?
(I'm now on R7800-lede1701-r3866-3ca1438ae0-20180402-1936.)

PS: it would be great if you can include the OpenVPN & DNSCrypt packages by default so the upgrade to newer versions to be much smoother/faster... You know, beside the ADBlock package, these packages are very helpful for a privacy oriented setup of the router. And I think they are not growing the size of the built too much.