Build for Netgear R7800

This may sound like a dumb question, is there a limit to what R7800 routers this build will run on, currently looking at the NetGear R7800-100UKS Nighthawk X4S AC2600 but dont want to end up buying a router that cant run a stable build on it.

Edit. Derp, that is the only R7800, im just bad at reading web pages.

So, I've tried sysupgrade, then I've installed the extra packages I normally use (openvpn and dnscrypt) and everything went well, except the Adblock was asking for a new config file (I guess something has changed in its format), but I've followed the example given there to change the config file, and so I've updated the file, and now it's ok. I like this magic, and I look forward to Lede to make the update even easier..
PS: most probably the following questions were asked before, so I apologies if I haven't found the answer in this thread, but, what is the difference between the two versions posted at the top, and can I switch between them while keeping the settings? (I am searching to have the most stable release, and I definitely want to use hnyman's version as it has almost everything I need already compiled in it.)
Thank you!

• 17.01 is the stable branch, mostly based on January 2017 code, and generally only gets fixes, but no new features. LEDE 17.01.0, .1, .2 and .3 have been released from this branch. My build is the HEAD of that branch, meaning currently 17.01.3 + later fixes since the release
  • Master is the bleeding edge LEDE development. Usually quite ok, must due to development nature, unexpected things may happen :wink:

Currently there is no material difference in config files, and I am constantly jumping between master and 17.01 when I test a new build. So, in general you can keep the settings and flash the other other quite ok.

Thank you very much for your fast and clear answer, @hnyman!

It's clear: as I am just a user and not a developer, I will change now to the 17.01.3 stable branch (I use one of the Masters now).

PS: thanks again @hnyman for the great work you are doing here!

@hnyman first off, thank you so much for these custom builds and the work you've done. I was wondering if you could include the fast path patch in future builds?

I know I could build my own and I will this weekend but I thought I'd see if you'd include it which would make it easier, its the only new feature I'd need in my own build :slight_smile:

I tested it 1-2 months ago (using dissent1's clean patch) but I did not find it useful for me, so I dropped it.

I might do a test build later, but it is no magic bullet for every speed problem. (There is probably also a reason why it is not yet included in Linux upstream by default)

I understand, I am enjoying this new router, huge upgrade from what I had especially with bufferbloat rating went from a D to a A+. However, I've lost a bit of speed and was hoping fast path would help in that regards which is why I'm curious to try it.

I have a gig connection and I'm getting around ~750 u/d on this router, used to get more on the other device around ~900 u/d. For some reason I get less on stock firmware then on LEDE for this router, I did try latest stock firmware prior to switching to this.

Edited:
forgot to throw in that I had issues with master and 5ghz, I looked at both logs and noticed the router wasn't loading a firmware file, I figured it out by making a copy of firmware-5.bin in /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9984/hw1.0 and naming it firmware-6.bin. It was the file the logs couldn't find and since then the 5ghz hasn't turned off at all

Weird, I'm not so experienced but I couldn't find any difference in ath10k driver between firmware-5 and firmware-6 that could improve behavior. Besides firmware-6 entry in log is a dummy entry, not causing anything in our case.

well, I didn't do anything else besides that and the 5ghz came back on and hasn't died at all since. I've been reading that it has been having issues for some. I'm on the LEDE Reboot SNAPSHOT r5095-699c6fcc31 / LuCI Master (git-17.288.58597-a47dd6e) version, haven't updated.

Do you know what I could do to improve my speeds? (besides testing fast path ofc )

So am I correct that you've had crashes before renaming to firmware-6.bin? And after that it has got fixed?

You can turn mss clamping off if you are not on pppoe connection, it's on firewall page

not crashes, just the 5ghz wireless point would stay disabled. I tried rebooting it a few times and nothing, I did that and it worked. I haven't rebooted since it came back on but I'll wait to reboot until a few updates. Thank you about mss clamping, that helped quite a bit, especially on upload.

Hi,

this might be a silly question, but what is this cutsom build good for? I guess there is an official LEDE build for the R7800. So why should I take this build?

Thanks for the information

Kind regards
Richard

To have the features explained in the first message built in into the firmware.

1 Like

Ok, so there are just some configurations / packages preinstalled / removed in this firmware? So I could add the things I need like DDNS or nano to a stock LEDE R7800 firmware as well?

Yeah, and that is how I used this custom build: a quick way to properly configure the router and manually install all needed packages.
If someone does not want to deal with packages and basic config, then this building the way to go.

Sure, you can install those packages and make the R7800-specific changes (e.g. SQM interface, USB automounting, WIFI LEDs) also by yourself. Also LuCI GUI is included, unlike in the daily buildbot builds.

But you need to install packages again after each update, so in the long run it is much easier to cook a personal firmware with just the right packages. I made this for myself, and decided to share it also with others.

1 Like

hnyman,

First, thanks so much for maintaining your community builds. It's been a great help for me and I was actually convinced to purchase my two R7800 units after reading this thread and seeing how you meticulously invest your time in this.

Now for my question :), I might have missed it but I'm using an older master build of yours (as I had some wifi issues with the 17.01 build) and I've been wondering if the current one contains the latest wpa2 vulnerability fixes? From what I understand these include both a kernel patch and user space patches.

And I also wonder if it would be possible for you to add a simple text file in your download site which would contain the latest build date and upgrade image URL. I would like to create a script to auto upgrade my routers.

Thanks!

Yes, they do contain the fixes.

I do not include in my own changelogs the generic changes in the main LEDE. The KRACK WPA2 fixes have been implemented in both LEDE master and 17.01 branches, so my new builds automatically include them.

You can see that changelog from the LEDE git sites,
e.g. by taking the GIT hash from my newest build:
"lede-r5171-bca01fddb3-20171025" --> bca01fddb3
and doing git log with that:
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=shortlog;h=bca01fddb3
The KRACK fixes were implemented some 11 days ago.

sorry, not gonna happen.

Thanks, got it.

I will drop the routing feed diff/patch from the patch set, as I have no changes there at the moment.

I will just comment out the respective lines in the build scripts (createbuildinfo and newbuildroot), so if somebody is using my scripts and has patches for that feed, just uncomment the lines.