Build for Netgear R7800

manually via LuCi interface, after reset only create pppoe and enable wireless.
opkg install samba.

update via sysupgrade.tar the wireless configuratation is preserved, and the wireless video stream is not corrupt.

To get any clues, you will need to compare all /etc/config files in ok condition to those that are there when it is not working.

And you should forget LuCI while debugging this, you need to use the ssh console and really see the file contents.

Plain reboot does not help to fix the error condition? (if there is something strange in wireless detection/init, it might get fixed with reboot )

Other angle: use opkg to remove packages one by one when it is not working, reboot, and see if the package removal helped. Suspects are mainly the network related packages (e.g. sqm, bcp38, miniupnp, vsftpd, and the kmods)

no reboot don't fix.

anyone can reproduce the bug, also you.

1. using your master build
  2. don't Keep settings / Reset to defaults:
  3. from hdd storage attacched to router ports, stream a "big" h264 .mkv wirelessy
  4. video artifatcs appears

This won't help figuring the issue as you say that these are disabled by default. The point is that when you add some kmod - it enables some kernel config symbol that may divert code path for other kernel elements, so the proper way is to test it without those kmods compiled in.

Not yet sure about that, but will try to test it later.

To clarify your STR:

• vanilla wifi settings? local country? bug with both 2.4 and 5 GHz?
  • HDD formatted as FAT?
  • How do you stream? install samba and use that file share to play a file on PC?

yes vannilla wifi settings, I only set name and wpa2-psk encryption
hdd, bug is same with ext4 or ntfs, usb or e-sata ports.
install samba and stream wirelessy from network share, i.e. with vlc [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc]
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc)
or install minidlna and stream from dlna protocol always with playstore vlc, fastest and easy testing method.

The baffling part here is that my master build worked for @steom when it had been sysupgraded from a "working" firmware Build for Netgear R7800 - #302 by steom

But the same build did not work after resetting.

That suggests to me that the problem is somewhere in the settings files, not in the included kmods as those remained the same in those two attempts.

anyway @hnyman,
if you don't use your "private personal necessities builds" for video wireless stream.
why bother? :neutral_face::wink:

Because it may be an actual bug in some package / module. Would be good to find and fix, just for the general benefit. There are hundreds of commits from me in the source code (both core and packages). Not all of those are related to features that I regularly use.

Don't take it too hard that I am not bloating the build with your package request.

Sorry, but I can't reproduce the bug with the r4633-9551d91b1d build.

I tested it with two different ways, and .mkv files played smoothly from a samba share via wireless with both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios.

• I first tested with my normal settings, and just installed samba and defined file share to a mounted usb drive.
  • Then I resetted and rebooted the device, and just defined wifi (channel, encryption, key), installed samba and defined the file share. Otherwise default settings, not even the root password :wink:

In both scenarios several half-gigabyte .mkv files played smoothly via wifi. No artefacts.

(Minor deviation from yours is that the HDD was NTFS formatted, and media player was MPC-HC instead of VLC).

every big bluray .mkv i stream, present artifacts, blocking, green square video corruption.
it's not player dependent.
also streaming with nvidia shield tv from plex media server...: if the stream is from R7800 combo Storage&Wireless the problem manifest.

if the stream is from another storage, i.e. PC hdd, and the R7800 provide only the wireless connection, the stream is ok.

It's not a problem for me, I can not use yours builds anyway because lacks opkg macvlan.. big bloat!
the official and snapshot release stream fine.

First I'd like to say thanks for providing this build. In the past, I've previously used your Openwrt build as a base for building my own (but that's probably at least a year ago, maybe more). I stopped building new versions for my routers, because they worked OK for my needs. Now I've bought a R7800 to replace my TL-WDR4300, and I've now come here to get a good starting point.

I've already flashed the router, first with the Lede stable, then with your latest build. No issues, but I haven't done any setup yet, as I need some stuff which is not included in your build. As a first step to rolling my own, I recreated your build environment (from your latest main version, using your provided script), and fired it up. My build machine is a 32 bit Debian 7, which is the same machine I used back then, as I was too lazy to start all from scratch.

Building failed, unfortunately. First I got an error on exfat:

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/oyvind/OwrtLEDE/lede/feeds/packages/kernel/exfat-nofuse'
make[3]: *** [/home/oyvind/OwrtLEDE/lede/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x/exfat-nofuse-2017-01-03-8d291f525ce6d88fe0d8b11b86fd5c2e900401d3/.prepared_6acdeff8e034edfbc62f7518f3d1aade_6664517399ebbbc92a37c5bb081b5c53] Error 2

I then commented exfat out from the config. Started the process again, and this time I got an error on sqm:

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/oyvind/OwrtLEDE/lede/feeds/packages/net/sqm-scripts'
make[3]: *** [/home/oyvind/OwrtLEDE/lede/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/sqm-scripts-1.1.3-1/.prepared_888107e56e3cbd1869dec1035bce4e9e_6664517399ebbbc92a37c5bb081b5c53] Error 2
make[2]: *** [package/feeds/packages/sqm-scripts/compile] Error 2

Commented sqm out also, and then the build finished and I got an image. Is it possible/likely that those errors are due to my build machine (it has been updated, but it is of course an older Debian). I realize this might be a dumb question, but please bear with me.

One more question. I will need to copy/recreate my old config from the WDR4300 to the new R7800, but a 1:1 copy is obviously not going to work. What is the easiest method to do this? Just copying all the new default config files and manually edit those with data from the config files on my old device (the old device is at Chaos Calmer r46302), so pretty old.

Quite likely. You need slightly different prerequisites for 32 & 64 bit buildhosts. And old debian may still require something different. you should look at the wiki about suggestions about the needed libraries.

My build environment creation script installs the prerequisites needed for Ubuntu 17.04 x64 that I use myself.

Just install some new buildhost to a virtual machine. Easy enough.

In general, really old buildhosts will not work well for the current LEDE toolchain, and vice versa, new modern buildhosts will choke with old Openwrt AA12.09 or BB14.07 sources...

Quite many settings are different between WDR4300 and R7800 as well as CC15.05 and LEDE master, so old config files are mostly useful as reference. (mostly for wifi settings etc.) But main hardware, wifi hardware and network interfaces are different, so almost all core settings will be invalid (system, network, wireless, sqm, etc.)

Also note that some of the new default config files are created on the fly during the first boot after the flash. Easiest is to let the new router to boot up with default settings and then edit the settings manually. Start with the defaults and adjust only those settings that you really need to change.

You should copy the old router's config files to USB stick (or to your buildhost) so that you can still browse them after booting up the new router.

Ok, thanks! I'll create a new buildhost then. As you say, easy enough to do, I was just being (too) lazy. I'll try Debian x64 first, as I like that a bit better than Ubuntu. I could perhaps also get away with just using your build and installing the additional stuff I need on the fly (like OpenVPN), but then I'd have to do the same stuff every time I'd want to update the firmware with a new build, which may be a bit tedious.

As for the config, I'll do it manually then, referencing my old config files. Not really a big deal.

Just a quick note. I created a new Debian x64 buildhost and recreated your build environment on that. On the first run of the updateNmake-script it failed:

make[9]: *** [/home/oyvind/OwrtLEDE/lede/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x/xtables-addons-2.12/extensions/LUA/lua/lbaselib.o] Error 1
make[8]: *** [/home/oyvind/OwrtLEDE/lede/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x/xtables-addons-2.12/extensions/LUA] Error 2
make[7]: *** [module/home/oyvind/OwrtLEDE/lede/build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a15+neon-vfpv4_musl_eabi/linux-ipq806x/xtables-addons-2.12/extensions] Error 2
make[6]: *** [modules] Error 2

I then just reran the script without changing anything, and it completed successfully. Could it be that the error was due to parallell compiling, causing temporary dependency issues?

tested
LEDE Reboot SNAPSHOT r4658-4787e19

wireless video stream corruption occur

You mean that the error surfaces also with the buildbot snapshot, right?

yes
tested today build

Well, then my initial assessment that your problem is not directly related to my build, was right.

I guess that you are hitting the performance limit for some reason. Somehow so high CPU load that the router does not stream enough video packages? You might check the CPU load with e.g. htop while streaming.

I've now commisioned my new R7800 with a build that is more or less the same as @hnyman's, I've only added some packages I need. However, the 5 GHz radio seems rather unstable and with low performance. Nothing funny in the logs, that I can tell. The 2.4 GHz radio works better, it seems. Is the 5 GHz radio expected to have issues?