Build for Netgear R7800

Thanks for the reply. Am a noob and a little overwhelmed. From the OP's dropbox link for the latest 17.01 build, should i just download the .img file and use it to flash from stock? I assume the rest of the patch files and scripts are if you want to do a build of your own?

Yeah download the img. The tar file is for upgrading if you already have LEDE.

@RandomJerk
Note that my 17.01 build includes the recent wifi firmware calibration file utilisation fixes from master, unlike the official 17.01.2 build. So it is possible that your crashes may occur if the ultimate reason lies in the ath10k's usage of the wifi calibration data and the R7800-specific calibration info. (but my 17.01 build has the same ath10k wifi driver itself as the official 17.01.2)

If my 17.01 build causes wifi to crash for you, it may still be worthwhile to flash the official 17.01.2 to see if that works for you.

I have not seen such wifi crashes myself, but I have not burdened it with gigabit speeds...

You do not need my build. My build simply adds more packages as built-ins.
You can simply get the 17.01.2 builds from the main LEDE downloads and it should function just as mine. I don't make any changes or run any extra patches against the LEDE sources. My Builds are technically equivalent to the official 17.01.2 builds, with some packages incorporated into the final image.
Here are the downloads: http://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.2/targets/ipq806x/generic/
You want the R7800 IMG

Hi. Is it possible to add 'westwood' to the list of available tcp congestion control mechanism's available?

Doing a 'cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_available_congestion_control' only shows cubic and reno. Westwood helped improve bufferbloat for me, when I used ddwrt. Thanks

Why don't you try enabling SQM, that will mitigate buffer bloat. I get A+ with it enabled.

Might be possible if you modify the kernel config before compilation (if you compile the firmware by yourself.) I have no need to for that, so I will not modify the kernel config in my build.

Hi hnyman, im compleyly new to LEDE, and just would like clarifcation on your build regarding the WAN port for SQM, which is correct one? Thanks in advance

Go to your overview screen, you'll see it there

Don't want to lose bandwidth for it. Also, it never works reliably until you find the sweet spot of upload/download speeds, which is a pain for me. I generally try to tweak and reduce bufferbloat as much as possible before I try the QoS route.

You may need to adjust the SQM settings after you have set your network config properly.

LEDE currently assigns a "tagged" notation for wan, so the port is something like eth 0.2 instead of plain eth0.

SQM package itself has originally just eth1 as the default WAN, which matches most old routers, but not R7800 that has eth0 or eth0.x as WAN.

Thanks, was using pope WAN, hence question, currently set sqm as per lede instruction with egress and ingress at 90% on wan speed.

Hi hnyman, can you please let me know what version of the firmware are you using in your builds? Is it firmware ver 10.4-3.4-00082 by any chance ?

I use the default in LEDE master, which is just that 10.4-3.4-00082:

[   29.764486] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: qca9984/qca9994 hw1.0 target 0x01000000 chip_id 0x00000000 sub 168c:cafe
[   29.764521] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: kconfig debug 0 debugfs 1 tracing 0 dfs 1 testmode 1
[   29.775463] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: firmware ver 10.4-3.4-00082 api 5 features no-p2p,mfp,peer-flow-ctrl,btcoex-param,allows-m
esh-bcast crc32 f301de65

As I have backported the wifi firmware reading changes to 17.01, I use the same firmware version also in my 17.01 build, which fact is visible also above in this thread...

Thanks for the response. Somehow, this firmware is crashing by 5 Ghz radios both in ddwrt and your builds too. The LEDE stock build of 17.01 uses a slightly old firmware 10.4-3.4-00072 which works fine for me.

Using my custom build based off the main branch (and also with the @hnyman build) I have no issue whatsoever with the 5GHz band crashing, with the exception of trying to use 160MHz, then it crashes.

Do you have a normal R7800? Or maybe some beta or engineering sample, or so. I remember that somebody had trouble with a preproduction unit.

lede master and ddwrt and my 1701 build read so called board file from firmware art partition while official 1701 uses one embedded in driver.

AFAIK I have a normal R7800, bought it at Best Buy. How would I know if it is a beta or engineering sample?

If you bought it from a major store, it us surely normal.

I have an engineering sample, but that is because I am a tester for Netgear. Only issue we testers have is that the cal data seems unable to be read in LEDE so we have to replace our cal data files with ones from retail units, in order to get WiFi to even show up in LUCI, which hnyman provided as part of his download links. If you bought it in a store you have a retail unit so don't worry about it.