Are there any good x86 routers?

First, a bit of history -- two years ago when I commented on this thread the stability of master wasn't what it was today, by a long shot, and the packages tended to lag far behind even "conservative" distros like Ubuntu, Debian, and FreeBSD. That has significantly improved, to the point where it is rare that any day's build off master has any issues of significance.

On security, FreeBSD provides two features that I consider critical for a security appliance as important as the border firewall.

• True immutability of the file system
  • Ability to prevent any changes to the firewall rules

At least as far as I know, Linux, while it has an immutable flag, it can be cleared by anyone with root access. For me, this is far less secure than running FreeBSD with the kernel set to secure level 2 (secure level can only be increased in a running system). Linux, as far as I know, also can't lock down the firewall rules the way that secure level 3 does.

1	   Secure mode - the system immutable and system append-only flags may
	   not be turned off; disks for	mounted	file systems, /dev/mem and
	   /dev/kmem may not be	opened for writing; /dev/io (if	your platform
	   has it) may not be opened at	all; kernel modules (see kld(4)) may
	   not be loaded or unloaded.  The kernel debugger may not be entered
	   using the debug.kdb.enter sysctl.  A	panic or trap cannot be	forced
	   using the debug.kdb.panic and other sysctl's.

2	   Highly secure mode -	same as	secure mode, plus disks	may not	be
	   opened for writing (except by mount(2)) whether mounted or not.
	   This	level precludes	tampering with file systems by unmounting
	   them, but also inhibits running newfs(8) while the system is	multi-
	   user.

In addition,	kernel time changes are	restricted to less than	or
	   equal to one	second.	 Attempts to change the	time by	more than this
	   will	log the	message	``Time adjustment clamped to +1	second''.

3	   Network secure mode - same as highly	secure mode, plus IP packet
	   filter rules	(see ipfw(8), ipfirewall(4) and	pfctl(8)) cannot be
	   changed and dummynet(4) or pf(4) configuration cannot be adjusted.

On pf vs. ipfw, I've been writing ipfw rules for over a decade now, close to two probably (since FreeBSD 4) and know how it behaves, know how it handles "dropped" packet buffers, and know many of the ways one can make "mistakes" in crafting a rule set. Since I don't use the "convenience" of GUI-driven firewalls, they are about the same to me otherwise.

For me, if I can't read and understand exactly what all of the rules are doing, it's blind faith. I don't find iptables to be readable in any reasonable way. I find nftables, even with its current set of faults (which are mainly around error reporting), to be much more readable and understandable to me.

An additional value of FreeBSD and now, to some extent, Debian (or other distros that support ZFS on Linux), is being able to run on mirrored ZFS. Between the reliability of storage and the ability to take, compare, and even send snapshots to another host, this is something that I find invaluable. The boot integration of Linux-based OSes with ZFS is primitive by comparison to FreeBSD, but functional. As I run dedicated, OpenWrt-based APs and I generally don't configure using LuCI, once the hardware is powerful enough to run a server distro, the amazingly light footprint of OpenWrt and outstanding wireless support doesn't have the same advantages on an x86_64 with 4 GB of memory and dual SSDs that it does on an SoC-based device with even 128 MB of flash and 256 MB of memory.

3 Likes

There seems to be a trend on this forum to recommend a separate firewall plus an AP to all users, but it is an overkill for most even for 1Gbps links. I.e. an APU2 unit has two upgradable items: BIOS (an offline upgrade) & OS. Add to that periodic upgrades of the AP and you end up in a disaster: most people do not want to spend their time maintaining their networking hardware and they either do not or end up bricking things. And this setup is not maintainable remotely either.
So, if OpenWRT is secure enough on its own, then a single all in one unit should be recommended most of the time. Probably off topic, though.

Which single all-in-one unit would you recommend with good working and supported wifi (=/= Broadcom), fast NAT (=/= R7800 (at least not yet)) and hw AES-NI for encrypted VPN connections?

On topic: Odroid H2 seems like a good candidate: anyone already tried it?

This depends on what you understand under "all-in-one unit", the only router with included VDSL modem would be the lantiq VRX2xx chipset (which is by a factor of 4-6 slower than ipq806x), in terms of cable modems there are none at all. If you're 'only' referring to wireless routers, mvebu would come to mind - with the drawback of worse (compared to ipq806x) wlan interoperability (particularly IoT/ esp8266 are troubled) - the Turris Omnia with mvebu and QCA WLAN might be an option.

1 Like

Are you sure you are still on-topic?

As a reminder:

It more or less comes down to what you're most confortable and what you're looking for. As far as a plain firewall goes pretty much anything works given kernels etc are kept up to date but as soon further it then where you might find "just a firewall" convenient. I can be everything to from running services (which might be considered bad practice but in some cases it's the most convenient solution) that might simply not be ported or able to run on OpenWrt for various reason to logging and easily analyze those on the device itself and of course what you're familiar with. For example I personally much prefer ipf(now deprecated)/pf/npf to iptables syntax for instance which is kinda crucial if you want a firewall :wink:
Adding to Are there any good x86 routers?

Bump!

Any x86 recommendations in Feb 2020?

1 Like

For router only, the Odroid H2 is still a good choice.

But attaining one may be problematic, glad I live on the only unaffected continent.

Greeting to antarctica? https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

Just me and the Penguins kicking down pebble beach, preparing for the annual migration.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.