Announcing the OpenWrt/LEDE merge

I also HATE infinite scrolling because again a slight server lag and the rest of the page stops loading.

Searching in a long thread which is distributed over 327 independent
pages is a pain too.
It really would be nice to have both views.
If I need to choose only one, I prefer the all in one way.

1 Like

I might add I have problems with my hands so overuse of the scroll wheel is a problem and infinite scrolling usually causes problem when trying to use the normal scroll bar. It does seem a bit more functional here but the visual cues to each post are so small its hard to see where to stop, so still a problem.

The time-line bar is a bit small and would be problematic being accurate with large threads.

Don't get me wrong, there are things I like about this forum but I can already for-see it being much harder for me to use. Possibly fixed by a different theme though?

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. I see the poll is going on now.

True, there are many more users registered at the 15.x forum. Spanning back a decade or more.

Many (myself included) with zero (0) posts. Maintenance-wise, dunno how many of those users have been inactive for (n) years. I know I have at least one, on the 15.x forum.

I understand & recognize there are Active members providing support for that platform / their custom builds there. Recent Activity-wise though: uncertain.

Only point I was trying to make is if an 'occasional' or (new) OpenWRT 17.x user is looking for information or support: the content contained in this forum supports the current point release.

I just don't see the sense trying to 'reinvent the wheel' at this point / delaying the merge, if the resources & equipment exist / allow for parallel site operation, for a fixed period of time.

I suggest taking a look at the keyboard shortcuts offered by Discourse (link can be found in the sandwhich menu left to your avatar menu).

Especially k and j for previous and next post as well as End for jumping to the latest post (which will also fetch the not yet loaded posts).

2 Likes

The current plan is to leave both in operation, but no fixed period has been
set. This is NOT delaying the rest of the merge in any way.

1 Like

Would it be possible to sticky a post containing hints like that called "How to use this forum" or "New users -- please read" above all categories so it's clearly visible?

Or sticky a single post in each category? Migration to Discourse hasn't been easy for me too, I would have appreciated a post like that back in a day.

1 Like

If you need help leaning about discourse you should find a discourse help forum,
Try this

This forum is dedicated to Lede, No need to pollute the forum with stuff that is not relevant.

1 Like