[GCC 7.2 BUILD] Optimized TP-Link Archer C7 V2 AC1750 LEDE Firmware

That's because I re-added option mtu_fix 1 to /etc/config/firewall. The lack of that was what was actually causing the problem - just took us a while to figure out.

The errors can be ignored (I'll likely remove what's causing them soon - they're nothing that would affect you) and you could switch to the LuCI default theme to see if that works better for you.

Thanks. Will ignore the error. I've rebooted but Luci slowness is still there. I didn't change the theme previously (July 2nd? build) and now it's much slower but I'll bear with it since I don't plan to do changes often. Memory usage is higher. I've 50% left previously, now is 45%. I have two Archer with same build, etc. So it's easier to compare.

Could the slowness come from https/ssl being enabled by default?

I always assumed that the lag had to do with the slower CPU in the router struggling to keep up with the SSL handshake.

Not sure. It appears that every "page" I try to access on Luci takes a while to load, almost like it's trying to resolve URL or something. I know that the router has single core and slower CPU but the CPU load is maybe 1-2% at most. Nothing has changed in my config except the firmware and this is the same on both my Archer C7. I did a quick measurements, Average 5 to 10 seconds per page load. I didn't measure this previously. I would assure the delay is due to Luci taking longer when "talking" to the other components to grab the info and not just SSL...

I pushed memcpy, memset MIPS assembler optimization for musl as well as updated ath10k firmware from truck.
Wireless performance should be on parity as Trunk.

2 Likes

@r00t - It looks like SQM ingress support with Fast Path with this patch works: Qualcomm Fast Path For LEDE

So, this is kind of weird since
(1) I'm replying to myself.
(2) The problem with LUCI being slow , disappear after 1 day and it's pretty responsive although I have not made any chances to the configuration. It's averaging 1-2 seconds or less. Usually less. Other than the previous reboot, I have not made another one since and there has been no change in my configurations. So it's curious as to why this would be so ?

Great, thanks! Considering there's currently a merge being discussed over here, I'll first wait and see where that goes before working on adding this before LEDE does. We currently do have a working FP integration, so I wouldn't consider this very urgent.

I'm not sure what to say. You don't share any logs or details but "LuCI is slow". It works fine on my end, although I never considered it to be "fast", neither on this build nor on vanilla LEDE and making LuCI snappy has never been the point of this build. You usually don't use it on a daily basis or at least not heavily, so as long as WiFi, WAN and NAT are fast, I don't think this matters much. I can't tell you why it magically works faster for you now either, but I'm glad it does.

1 Like

Btw new build is up - just small changes though. I dropped ssdk, so the errors/warnings that @dacarrs pointed out won't appear anymore, while Fast Path of course still works.

I also fixed the nightly build script. It didn't create any nightlies for the past 6 days - sorry about that. It will compile a new one tomorrow.

1 Like

I had no logs other than what you told me to ignore.

I did figure out the reason though. I didn't make any changes to the Archer C7 because they were my AP, but I did make changes to my router (different devices). I had basically block off 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 with a ACL because I had a Roku that I want to prevent from geolocating itself. And both AP was configured with a DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 . No reason for it to do a lookup, but for whatever reason, the APs was doing a DNS lookup whereever I click any screen. Don't ask me why the DNS matters since it's all IP anyway, but that's causing the "slowness".

Gi

Iam want buy one Archer c7 and Neves help for chope a best HD version, for use w Lede os V2 or V3 ?

Thanks

Trying to install support for a USB Wifi Adapter using Broadcom chip. The following errors show.. Any idea whats wrong ?

Installing kmod-brcmfmac (4.4.79+2017-01-31-2) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-brcmfmac_4.4.79+2017-01-31-2_mips_24kc.ipk
Collected errors:

• satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-brcmfmac:
  • kernel (= 4.4.79-1-f1c8486316ad7ce347b6f93bcb575539) * kernel (= 4.4.79-1-f1c8486316ad7ce347b6f93bcb575539) *
  • opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-brcmfmac.

Yeah, that was something else and doesn't happen with the latest release.

That's interesting! Wouldn't have figured that out.

Yeah, the kernel packages of the repo this build uses are always compiled for the latest kernel versions and you'll get this error if you use a slightly different kernel version. The new nightly will be up in 4 hours and 30mins. You could upgrade to that and try again. Alternatively just run opkg with --force-depends to ignore dependency errors - it should work fine despite them.

You'd want an Archer C7 v2.

1 Like

Hello, today I tried this firmware on my v2. And these are my results (I only did bandwidth internet tests), my internet plan is 300mb, but due to lede hardware-nat lack of support, I am not able to get those speeds.

Archer C7 v2 LEDE 17.01.2

WIFI 5G - 138.9 Mb/s DOWN - 120.03 Mb/s UP
WIRED - 124.77 Mb/s DOWN - 191 Mb/s UP

Archer C7 v2 LEDE optimized snapshot

WIFI 5G - 204.39 Mb/s DOWN - 225.70 Mb/s UP
WIRED - 214.64 Mb/s DOWN - 314.40 Mb/s UP

So, this is a huge speed improvement. But I had to roll back to my previous LEDE 17.01.2 version because I couldn't install some kmod's that I need in order to be able to watch the television via iptv of my internet provider.

I tried with the snapshot, and also with the lastest nightly of today. And I had the same error for both firmwares. I also tried with the --force-depends option.

root@LEDE:~# opkg install --force-depends kmod-bridge
Unknown package 'kmod-bridge'.
Collected errors:
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-bridge.

root@LEDE:~# opkg install --force-depends kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp
Installing kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp (4.4.79+2.12-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp_4.4.79+2.12-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Configuring kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp:
 *      kernel (= 4.4.79-1-f1c8486316ad7ce347b6f93bcb575539) *

Could be possible to add these two kmod's (kmod-bridge and kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp) for the next version? :grin:

Thank you. This is an amazing work.

EDIT: I have been researching a little bit more and I finally get it to work. It looks like kmod-bridge is not longer necessary to avoid igmp snooping (I have to check this more), but I already installed kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp using --nodeps.

root@LEDE:~# opkg --nodeps install kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp
Package kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp (4.4.79+2.12-1) installed in root is up to date.
1 Like

Hi, I was just wondering if there's an obvious reason this: https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/netatalk_configuration would cause internet problems with this build? I'm a noob to LEDE, and I've tried resetting/following the guide 3 times, but every time I do I end up with connection problems. The router is able to ping external links fine, but computers on its network can't. I've tried enabling/restarting dnscrypt-proxy, but no luck. I feel like it could be a DNS problem but I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone have any ideas? :slight_smile:

It looks like things with Fast Path/SFE have stabilized - https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/1269

Side-note: @r00t please let us know how we can send some coffee money your way!

Actually the PR you linked to was made by dissent1.
Gwlim patches are making more changes to the firmware but on the other hand it doesn't seem like he wants to merge them with upstream. He prefers apply > build > delete and start again approach.

Does anyone here made some tests regarding the actual performance on Archer C7 with and without SQM?

@joshlacal
To understand if it's a DNS problem, for example if you can ping 8.8.8.8 but not google.com, it's likely a DNS issue.

So to clarify you're able to reach a icmp ping from google.com and 8.8.8.8 on the router when logged in via ssh, but not from other computers attached to the archer c7v2?

When you reset (by reset i assume you mean factory defaults?) are you able to ping google.com from any clients attached to the archer c7v2? Does your computer stop being able to ping google.com only after installing avahi-utils & netatalk? or is it not even able to ping google.com on a client computer even before installing avahi-utils & netatalk?

I'm not too knowledgeable on AFP Netatalk, but reading through the guide you're following maybe your problem is this guide assumes you aren't using DNScrypt, and just a standard LEDE install. The guide you linked points to the file /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf, in particular publish-dns-servers=192.168.1.1 and publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers=yes caught my attention. DNScrypt runs on port #5353 and not standard port 53. So perhaps try changing that? Also keep in mind dnscrypt does away with the normal resolve-conf. So if this is too complicated, try disabling and stopping DNScrypt service and reverting to the old native LEDE dns which is outlined in this post:

1 Like

Thanks to r00t for this impressive build, has installed and work pretty well on my V2 device.:blush: